Forgive me and Happy New Year!

Stuff That Fell Out While I Was Thinking by Tara Linn

My phone rang at 1:34 on this New Year’s morning. I know the time because as I was trying to shake off a deep sleep, I glanced at the clock.

Of course, my first thought is “phones don’t ring at 1:34 in the morning with good news” and every horrible family scenario that I could think of was swirling in my sleepy head as I rushed towards the phone.

You would be amazed at the thoughts and images that can go through one’s mind in a matter of two or three seconds.

Convinced that some dire news was waiting for me when I picked up the phone, the first thing I heard was; “This is an urgent message from the Collier County Sheriff’s office.” It was at that moment that I almost fainted. I truly felt my legs start to lose ground as I swooned. I was in shock as the message continued, but the next words I heard were “missing child” and at that moment I gasped and I did fall to my knees.

As my heart was beating out of my chest and I tried to regain my senses, I continued to listen and it was only then that I realized the call was a recorded message and general alert. It was regarding a missing child from the surrounding neighborhood and the recorded message was offering details in hopes that someone would have information that could help in finding her.

This is the moment of shame for me as I said out loud, “Oh thank God.” It was not about my loved one and as I called thanks to God, at the same time I realized there is a family that is looking for their daughter and loved one. Oh, how miserable. What they must be going through!

I can only hope that one day I will be forgiven for thanking God that it was not my loved one. I’m sure that forgiveness will not come easy because I am steadfast in my selfishness and I am still grateful and relieved that the call was not about a child in my household.

A few observations about this horrible incident; Number one: When my daughter and granddaughter come over today, I will hug them so hard and with such might I don’t know if I will be able to let them go. They both, of course, will think I’ve lost my mind.

And for a few moments this early New Year’s Day, I did.

Number two: If I didn’t realize how fortunate I was before 1:34 this morning, I certainly do now. I do not have money but I am very rich! My fortune is my family and my wealth is high yielding in the love and enrichment I receive from them every day of my life. Most importantly and more gratifying is that I am given the opportunity to return that love.

And Number three: Before I get too sappy and sentimental in all of this, (oh sorry, too late) I have been wishing everyone I know a Happy New Year through cards and letters and other forms of communication. I casually wished everyone a Happy New Year as I left work on Friday. I have been casually extending New Year wishes on NDN blogs letters pages.

It wasn’t until 1:34 this morning that I realized how happy this new year really is. I am thankful for the early morning phone call to snap me out of my complacent and comfortable world.

So when I’m feeling perturbed for some inane reason that causes me to be whiny, I should be slapped and slapped hard!

It is no longer in a casual way that I extend my full and heartfelt New Year wishes. My life is good and I just can’t imagine that it could get any better.

Before I posted this blog, I went to the Collier County Sheriff’s Office web site so that I could get the correct information on the missing child. I am happy to report that the update on this incident is that SHE HAS BEEN FOUND AND IS SAFE! Another reason to be happy. God Bless this girl and her family, may you keep her safe forever.

At the expense of this family’s extraordinary journey into heartache and worry, I was able to experience the extreme opposite of those emotions with happiness and gratitude. I would like this family to know that if it had been my loved one missing, I don’t care who they had to alarm or wake up, I wouldn’t care how much stress and anxiety it may cause, just wake up and help!

I am glad she is back in your arms.

Illiar writes:

I'm glad that all turned out well. Let's all hope that middle-of-the-night calls are happy ones (like a new baby), and your new year a good one.

anicou writes:

Tara,

You are not the only one to have that kind of reaction when you receive a call in the middle of the night. I experienced it also. It is very frightening indeed.
It is quite normal to think first about your loved ones. Nothing wrong with it.
Have a good new year.

bossman1 writes:

Tara, nice story.
I woke up in the middle of the night to a tragedy a little over 11 years ago. And then over the next four years our country and the rest of the world suffered. Thousands of Americans died, 10's of thousands were wounded coming home without legs, arms and the mental capacity they had only a few years before.
It happened again only four years later. Dispite the tragedys of the previous four years the same people [you were one of them] put thier party loyalty ahead of thier families, friends, and countries interests.
Tara, vote for the best person regardless of political party, your God will forgive you for your past mistakes and you will feel better about yourself, if thats possible.

nstinks writes:

My wife and I have received those calls Tara.

Scary!

We should all count our blessings.

I wish you, and all my blog friends, a safe, happy and prosperous New Year!

nstinks writes:

What a s----- post Bossy.

Tara doesn't deserve this!

Can't you just once respect the feelings of others?

Canuck writes:

keekee.....our natural first reaction is to give thanks it was not our sibling, offspring, relative who was involved when we receive a call in the middle of the night.

Only after giving thanks do most of us have concern for the persons involved.

Yours was a reaction all of us have experienced.......nothing to apologize for.......but nevertheless another good column!

Happy and a Healthy New Year to you and yours!

keekee writes:

in response to Illiar:

A new baby?! Yikes! Yes, that would be good news. If I am fortunate to live long enough, I’ll be around when my nieces and nephews start families and I will be able to love a whole new generation, however, I don’t want to rush their progress! HA! Happy New Year!

keekee writes:

in response to anicou:

Tara,

It is quite normal to think first about your loved ones. Nothing wrong with it.
Have a good new year.

It was so weird, anicou. As I’m trying to reach the phone, all the horrible things that it could be, rattled in my head so that when I picked up the phone, I was sure I would hear one of them! The brain is a curious thing indeed.

Thank you and Happy New Year to you as well!

bossman1 writes:

in response to nstinks:

What a s----- post Bossy.

Tara doesn't deserve this!

Can't you just once respect the feelings of others?

Sorry my comment bothered you Willoughby, but Tara does deserve this and much, much more.
I do respect the feelings of those that respect others.
Do you ever dis-respect the feeling of others?

keekee writes:

in response to nstinks:

My wife and I have received those calls Tara.

Scary!

We should all count our blessings.

I wish you, and all my blog friends, a safe, happy and prosperous New Year!

Thank you nstinks, the same to you.

What did you do to celebrate the New Year? Most of my family and friends are just satisfied to stay at home and ring in the New Year by watching the ball drop on TV. Of course, I’m always fast asleep before that happens! LOL

keekee writes:

in response to Canuck:

Only after giving thanks do most of us have concern for the persons involved.

Happy and a Healthy New Year to you and yours!

Canuck, Good to see you, thanks for stopping by.

I know it is a perfectly natural reaction, and I can step back now and say, everything is ok, thank God. When I woke up yesterday morning, it had just affected me so deeply, I couldn’t think of anything else until I got it down on paper.

Happy New you to you as well! Thank you for your kind words.

Rebg39lov writes:

Keekee,

OMG! Terror, thankfulness, guilt, relief...all mixed together and rolling around in your heart and mind!

Whew!

Isn't it funny how life conspires to get our attention?

Just as we think we can sit back, and relax....BAM!!!

You literally had a "wake-up" call!

Thank goodness the missing child was found, and all is well.

But, it is something that will stick with you. You'll hug a little tighter, and love a little harder, and the world will look a little brighter.

So, it's a gift....a gift of awareness.

How great is that?!

Here's to you, Keekee, for all the gifts you give us through your writing ability.

Thank you!

keekee writes:

in response to Rebg39lov:

Keekee,

Whew!

Isn't it funny how life conspires to get our attention?

Just as we think we can sit back, and relax....BAM!!!

You literally had a "wake-up" call!

Thank goodness the missing child was found, and all is well.

So, it's a gift....a gift of awareness.

How great is that?!

Thank you!

Hi ya Reb!

I love this post! You have summed up perfectly what I was trying to convey.

You know when God feels the need to give me one of His little nudges, He’s just gonna have to ease up a bit, this old heart can’t take a little nudge like this one again! HA!

Good to see you!

Sherri writes:

KeeKee, here is a poem by e e cummings -- I hope I wrote the name right. You are probably familiar with it, but if not, I think it might come close to how you feel about the special someone in your life who is so dear to you. Sorry you had such a frightening phone call, and so happy that our family (and the other one) is safe and secure another day. Please forgive any errors in punctuation, but I think you will see the meaning despite my mistakes. Here is the poem called "i carry your heart with me".

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
——————————————————— i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

keekee writes:

in response to Sherri:

i carry your heart with me(i carry it in
my heart)i am never without it(anywhere
i go you go,my dear;and whatever is done
by only me is your doing,my darling)
——————————————————— i fear
no fate(for you are my fate,my sweet)i want
no world(for beautiful you are my world,my true)
and it's you are whatever a moon has always meant
and whatever a sun will always sing is you
here is the deepest secret nobody knows
(here is the root of the root and the bud of the bud
and the sky of the sky of a tree called life;which grows
higher than soul can hope or mind can hide)
and this is the wonder that's keeping the stars apart
i carry your heart(i carry it in my heart)

Sherri,

I love e.e. cummings and this one is one of my favorites! Yes, exactly. You just can’t separate my heart from the hearts of the ones I love. Thank you so much for reminding me of this beautiful poem.

Illiar writes:

in response to nstinks:

What a s----- post Bossy.

Tara doesn't deserve this!

Can't you just once respect the feelings of others?

I don't think he can respect others' feelings. And he can't remember that the attacks of 9/11 took place in the morning, not in the middle of the night.

bossman1 writes:

Vicki, Attacks of 9/11/01 in the middle of the night? I didn't say that at all, do you have a comprehension problem too?
The tragedy I clearly refered to was the stolen election of Bush jr in Florida which lead to the appointment to President. Which in my opinion was worse than 9/11/01.
Try to stay with it Vicki.

almond writes:

I too remember a phone call about four o'clock in the morning.My daughter who was in Germany called {they were there on a senior school trip]and informed us that the bus that was to take them to the next exibet had left her behind."Think about that" . I won't go on wth the story,except she he couldn't speak german and in a hotel room alone.

Sherri writes:

I deny the allegation, and I deny the alligator. (Sorry, Mom!)

keekee writes:

in response to almond:

Yikes! Oh my gosh, I’ll bet your daughter was freaking out too! How did that get resolved? I’m always so frightened by the first part of the story that I can’t ever remember the end of the story!

bossman1 writes:

in response to Sherri:

I deny the allegation, and I deny the alligator. (Sorry, Mom!)

S, Do you always vote for the Republican candidate or vote for the best candidate for our country?

Sherri writes:

in response to bossman1:

Both.

keekee writes:

in response to Sherri:

Both.

Excellent answer. One in the same.