Aftermath and Electronics

Stuff That Fell Out While I Was Thinking by Tara Linn

This was to run in the NDN on January 4th, but alas, I was bumped by the obituaries, oh well, let’s try it on here.

Aftermath and Electronics

Whew! The chaos has subsided and the leftovers are all gone. The dishwasher has been emptied of all the special pots and pans and dishes that we only drag out once or twice a year.

The wrapping paper and ribbons have all been safely tucked away until next year when we can display our artistic ability of the beautiful and perfectly wrapped present. We ask ourselves why the perfection as we witness our work of art unceremoniously ripped away with abandon, telling ourselves next year it's a bag and tissue paper!

The culmination of weeks of Christmas preparation has climaxed and we are forced back into our normal routine and we are now experiencing the low emotional consequence of the aftermath.

Almost everyone in my family received some new state-of-the-art electronic gadget, which is really the subject of this article and my consternation.

Starting with my 6-year-old granddaughter and on to my nieces and nephews and including my siblings, all received a wonderful piece of equipment that apparently can do anything.

My granddaughter was eager and excited to show what her new, little device could do.

Me, being the techno-moron that I am, would only know that an apple or a blackberry are fruits, a nook is the thing you will find next to the cranny and iPad, iPhone or iPod is just bad spelling and grammar.

So here's the thing. There were a few moments of perfect silence throughout that chaotic Christmas day as everyone was busy pounding on their new little gray screens.

Demonstrating my family exploring their new toys is a sight gag and it will be hard to explain without witnessing my exaggerated hand gestures and face mugging. I would need to be standing in front of you as I do a whole bit and pretend I'm holding what looks like a mini-computer monitor. I pretend I'm typing on a teeny tiny screen keyboard, then with large sweeping movements I slide my index finger across the screen as if I'm looking for a particular image and then with my index finger and thumb, I pretend I'm making the image larger. Then of course I will laugh and mug as I display the pretend screen to the whole room.

The reality for me is trying to be enthusiastic when my loved one wants to demonstrate his or her new toy. I will do my best to bestow the three A's of significant enthusiasm with equal amounts of APPREHENSION, AMUSEMENT and ADMIRATION.

When my granddaughter is showing me how to play the new game on her computer thingy, I must show appreciative apprehension as she gears it up, my amusement at the amazing game must be exhibited with gusto and when she scores big I will hug her and make obvious my admiration!

If she only knew, if they all realized that number one, I can't see a thing on those small, gray screens even with my granny glasses. Number two, I'm deaf in one ear so I must struggle to hear what is coming out of the obnoxious itsy bitsy speaker and number three, my understanding of any computer game is less than zero, so really I would have no idea if you won or lost the game.

The adult electronics may be more sophisticated and do remarkable things and I will properly display the three A's of significant enthusiasm, but I admit I am no more adept at these toys than I am with my granddaughter's electronic game.

I know the "on" switch and I know the "off" switch and to operate anything in between I will have to get my granddaughter to help me.

Of course by next year every piece of electronics that was received this year will be totally obsolete and I'm sure my family will replace them with the newest state-of-the-art gadget when next Christmas rolls around.

They will be ever more stylish and complicated with pretty buttons, bells and whistles and I guarantee, I will still be clueless.

I can only hope that the little gray screens will be replaced with large and loud hologram technology so old granny can see what the heck is going on!

anicou writes:

Oh my gosh Tara, this is some discovery you made during Christmas.
I am also a techno-moron.
I see little kids, even younger that your grand daughter playing with these electronic toys all the time.
I was talking to a friend who has children and was complaining of the lack of communication at dinner time because her kids were eating and playing at the same time with their gadgets.
I am just happy with my cell phone for emergency calls and my computer for great emails I receive all the time.
Are we really techno morons you and me, or we just enjoy the simple pleasure in life, like having lunch with good friends, read an interesting book or watch an old movie.
Great post Tara! Very on the target.

woods311 writes:

Well done 2keys!!

There is another place, in cyberspace where you can get
"O.F.F. on the Naples Daily News."

See you back at the "Occupation".

keekee writes:

in response to anicou:

Oh my gosh Tara, this is some discovery you made during Christmas.
I am also a techno-moron.
Great post Tara! Very on the target.

Hi anicou!

Busy day today. My Mom came over to keep my granddaughter busy, while my daughter and I did some errands. And what do you suppose my mother and granddaughter did while we were away? Played with her new computer thingy of course! My Mom loves it, she said she wants one just like it next Christmas! HA!

Yes, all these electronics have taken rudeness to new heights! I know people who have their toy or phone permanently attached to their hand. If they are not talking on the phone, they are using one or more of the apps. It’s hard to sway their attention as they never put down the gadget.

I’m old school and I think it’s all silliness. But what do I know? Nothing about gadgets, that’s for sure! LOL!

keekee writes:

in response to woods311:

Well done 2keys!!

There is another place, in cyberspace where you can get
"O.F.F. on the Naples Daily News."

See you back at the "Occupation".

Hi ya woods!

Sure glad you could drop by and thanks!

Yes, you will see me at our usual meeting place! It’s slow around here. I can’t seem to lure anyone away from that other blog that has that perpetual argument going on! LOL You know the one: Like Raoul described:

Lousy President!
No he’s not!
Yes he is!
No he’s not!
To infinity!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AnnetteKniola writes:

Great story and it is so the truth! Happy New Year!

keekee writes:

in response to AnnetteKniola:

Great story and it is so the truth! Happy New Year!

Hi Annette, Thanks for the visit! I stopped by your place too. You’re not getting old!! I think it’s the emotional let-down we feel after all the hullabaloo. Makes us all a little achy and sleepy! LOL! If someone would give me a chance I think I could sleep for a week! But like you, the guilt would get to me and I would have to pull my achy old body out from under the warm comforter and all the pillows!

bossman1 writes:

Good morning Tara, I to have a difficult time with the new High Tech toys but mostly because they are so small. Just sending a text on my new cell phone is tough because of my large hands and fingers. I am pretty good with a joy stick in my hands though and my brain still works quick enough.
How about you guys?

Cassandra writes:

Well, it's either tapping screens or going back to "some assembly required".

nstinks writes:

Fun blog entry Tara.

I can certainly relate.

I don't even try anymore to keep up with my grandkids and their electronic gizmos.

Today, my wife and I went through our special cupboard filled with things for our grandkids.

Guess what........everything is obsolete.

We filled up two large garbage bags and it is sitting on our driveway to be picked up tomorrow morning.

Oh well........that's progress.

I still like playing the Clue and Monopoly board game.

keekee writes:

Hi Guys!

So glad you took a break from that “other place” to come over and enjoy yourselves! Good to see ya!

Cassandra’s right I suppose. I remember those “assembly required” Christmas Eves where my daughter’s father was up all night putting the tricycle together, then later on the bicycle and various other toys.

And most of the games as you say, nstinks, were enclosed in a cardboard box with tangible parts and pieces that we could all hold and distribute without energy from a battery.

My family has fun with my ineptness with these new gadgets so I think turn-about is fair play, don’t you? LOL!

Thanks for stopping by, don’t be strangers!

ruf462 writes:

Belated Happy New Year to you and the gang. Nice to see that you are all feeling well enough to chime in.

We've all become victims of the electronic age. The gadgets don't bother me so much as the nonstop stream of chimes, beeps, and ringing phones, faxes and things which connect us to anyone anywhere in the world on a 24/7 basis. Some of these things seem to have an endless supply of battery power, and if you've forgotten to turn them off at night, they can keep buzzing/chiming/ringing until you can find the thing (usually in the dark, after stubbing several toes) and silencing it (only to hear the protests of the significant other).

Illiar writes:

keekee,
Don't let those electronic gadgets intimidate you. In truth computers and their cousins are rather s----- machines. Granted they can be frustrating when they refuse to work, but most of the headaches are from bad programming or engineering.

I remember buying my daughter a tricycle and trying to put it together according to the instruction manual (or destruction manual). The project went smoothly after I threw the instructions away. Sadly, the next morning my daughter (three years old at the time) got into my junk drawer in the kitchen (where there were an assortment of tools), and took the tricycle apart. Alas, she had a high aptitude for mechanics/engineering, but went into theology in college.

Illiar writes:

in response to ruf462:

I don't have that problem. If mechanic ingenuity and finesse doesn't solve the problem, a 3 pound sledge hammer usually does.

keekee writes:

in response to ruf462:

Hi ya ruf! So glad you stopped by!

Yes, I agree. Being hooked up to the world 24/7 is intimidating and could explain the stressful element of our society.

I had to laugh the other night as I woke-up, my sleepy eyes were focused on my green blinking wall. I had left my computer on and that box thingy that Comcast hooks to the computer and it’s green blinking lights makes the room glow like in one of those old film noirs where a glaring sign outside a window reflects on the dull creepy room inside.

As I got up to turn everything off, I noticed all the little lights in my dark room. Along with the neon numbers on my alarm clock, the cradle that holds my phone has an oblong shaped red light, the computer speakers has a tiny white light streaming through one of them, the computer tower thingy has a beautiful shade of blue button and on the computer monitor, a yellow light glows when it is in power save mode.

So basically, it was the middle of a totally black night, no night lights, no lamps were turned on, but my room had enough blinking and glowing lights to illuminate a three ring circus!

keekee writes:

in response to Illiar:

Howdy Illiar! Where ya been, haven’t seen you in awhile.

I think you’re on to something here. Especially for the morons that expect you to have general conversation or conduct business with them as they talk or utilize an app on their cell phone.

I don’t know if I should use the sledge hammer on the phone or the moron.

Rebg39lov writes:

in response to keekee:

Howdy Illiar! Where ya been, haven’t seen you in awhile.

I don’t know if I should use the sledge hammer on the phone or the moron.

Oh, oh! I know this one!

It's phone, THEN moron...in that order.

Clink!