About 100 motorcycles will escort Vietnam Wall replica Tuesday

• What: Dignity Memorial Vietnam Wall Display
  • When: Friday, Sept. 26, 2008, 10:30 a.m. to midnight
  • Where: Naples Memorial Gardens, 525 111th Avenue North, Naples FL 34108
  • Cost: Free
  • Age limit: All ages
Full event details »

At least 100 motorcyles are expected to take to I-75 Tuesday to escort a replica of the Vietnam Wall into Collier County.

The motorcycle escort will lead a semi-trailer transporting the Dignity Memorial Vietnam Wall. The three-quarter-scale replica of the Vietnam Veterans Memorial will be assembled at the Naples Memorial Funeral Home and Cemetery.

The motorcylces will leave at 1 p.m. from rest area near exit 161 on Interstate 75 south. The exhibit is expected to be at the cemetery by 2 p.m.

The 240-foot long replica will be assembled Wednesday, and will be open to the public 24 hours a day beginning Friday.

VOLUNTEERS SOUGHT TO HELP IN ASSEMBLY

Professional Building Systems seeks volunteers for Wednesday, September 24th, to help assemble the Dignity Memorial Vietnam Wall.

No construction experience needed – just the ability to help lift heavy objects.

Assembly will start promptly at 8am on Wednesday September 24th at Naples Memorial Gardens located at 525 111th Ave. 34108 . Hospitality will be provided for the volunteers.

Please call 253-1217 for more information or to confirm you are attending.

MarcoRobert writes:

This is an outstanding opportunity for our children to experience, and for all of us as a community of neighbors to come and pay our respects to those on the "Wall", and to any vets who are in attendance.

When I first visited the memorial in D.C. it took me hours to finnaly leave. It was one the most emotional experiences I've ever encountered. To all of those who have served our great country, in Viet Nam as well as all the battle theaters, I offer a heartfelt WELCOME HOME!

lowkey writes:

Several ABATE members and as well some VFW folks are riding up tomorrow. Leave the VFW, (located at 800 Neffs way) corner of Pine Ridge and 951 behind the shopping plaza.Get there by 10:30 am and kickstands up at 11:00.

dwyerj1 writes:

Not quite the same as an F-15 flyover.

silverback writes:

But it carries more emotion Emile. A lot of us were there and most of us know people whose names are on the wall.

See you tomorrow at the VFW.

swampbuggy writes:

To those going, thanks.
I am not a rider but appreciate what you guys are doing.

stepetroni writes:

The Wall is a very emotional experience. Having known so many whose names are there, seeing the rest of my "Class of 65" aging and still remembering our fallen brothers still brings tears to my eyes and a reminder to my heart. So many have given so much to see it just be allowed to slip away.

As the people in Quebec write on their license tags, "We remember who we are".

Opinionated writes:

I was a member of ABATE for 7 years.
Its a great group of caring people.

We did charitable runs all the time, and enjoyed every minute of it.

Sold my Harley. Too many cars out there not looking out for motorcycles.

Miss it, but glad I'm alive.

Ironside writes:

I took my family to the Vietnam Memorial Wall in Washington D.C. It was a very moving experience. We'll be visiting the replica this Friday in North Naples as well.

Thank you to those who gave the ultimate sacrifice.

Also, thank you to all veterans for serving our country!

SALUTE!

silverback writes:

There were several hundred motorcycles escorting the truck down 75 this afternoon. The
Vietnam veterans rode behind the truck and the various MC organizations & clubs followed them. It was great!!

Visit the wall this weekend. Listen as the names are read.

We can't forget our MIA's or POW's either.

God bless the USA, forgive us of our arrogance and put our feet back on the ancient pathways of Holiness and Righteousness. There are still people here that will stand in the gap!!