VIDEO: Former Collier deputy charged with sex assault in mall bathroom also involved in Lee incident

Chuck Bullock

Chuck Bullock

Video from NBC-2

It turns out the Coastland Center mall isn’t the only place where authorities say former Collier County Sheriff’s Office Cpl. Chuck Bullock stalked teenage boys.

Last August, Lee County deputies made contact with Bullock, 51, after receiving reports that he followed a boy into a dressing room on Fort Myers Beach and was “peaking through” at him, according to Lee County Sheriff’s Office reports released on Thursday.

“It doesn’t change our investigation at all. It simply adds to the ongoing pattern that was identified during our investigation,” Naples police spokesman Michael Herman said. “It just shows the same pattern of behavior, and also shows it was locations other than just the Coastland Center mall.”

Bullock was arrested on Monday on charges of lewd or lascivious battery and official misconduct, after a 15-year-old boy told Naples investigators that Bullock sexually assaulted him at least twice inside a food court bathroom in late January and early February. Collier Sheriff Kevin Rambosk fired Bullock immediately after his arrest.

“This information, it certainly broadens the scope of the investigation,” said Karie Partington, spokeswoman for the Collier County Sheriff’s Office, which is also conducting concurrent criminal and internal investigations. “Of course, much will depend on what develops from this time forward. We will partner with Naples police in whatever way is needed.”

According to a Lee County Sheriff’s Office field interview report, just after 1 p.m. on Aug. 21 — a Friday — a parent called 911 to report that a man with a “butch hair cut,” wearing red swim trunks, a white T-shirt and a gray ball cap was “following guys into dressing rooms and peaking through at them at Lynn Hall Park” near Times Square on Fort Myers Beach. The man, later identified as Bullock, had been watching the caller’s son in the dressing room, reports said.

When a Lee deputy made contact with Bullock, reports say Bullock identified himself as a Collier deputy and provided credentials. He told the Lee deputy that he was just looking for an empty changing area himself, agency spokesman Lt. Larry King said.

The Lee deputy documented the encounter and notified his commander, who said he would notify the Collier County Sheriff’s Office. But that was never done, as “it was later determined that there were no particular elements either substantiated or given by witness(s) that would support the commission of a crime,” according to a memo written by Collier Sgt. Scott Walters.

When asked if Lee deputies made a mistake by not contacting their Collier counterparts, King said “not at all.”

“It's a judgment call on that type of situation,” King said. “Hindsight is 20-20. At that time, they didn’t feel it warranted contacting a supervisor.”

However, it appears Bullock violated Collier County Sheriff’s Office policy when he failed to report the encounter to his supervisor.

“Yes, policy says anytime you have an encounter with a law enforcement agency, you are to report it to your supervisor within 24 hours,” Partington said. “We have checked with his supervisor and he did not report it.”

Attempts to reach Bullock’s attorney, Jerry Berry, for comment on Thursday were unsuccessful. He has previously said that Bullock denies the allegations against him.

Duane Dobbert, a forensic behavior analyst at Florida Gulf Coast University and an expert in sex crimes, said loitering outside a food court bathroom and at a dressing room at the beach would be typical of a hebephile — someone with a sexual preference for pubescent children. Surveillance video showed Bullock loitering outside the bathroom, sometimes for hours at a time, on at least 20 occasions between mid-December and mid-February.

“The stalking is one of the expected behaviors I see in every one of these people,” Dobbert said.

Hebephiles have a “fantasy love group” that is almost always gender specific, Dobbert said. They are usually single men, but it is not unusual for hebephiles to be married. Bullock is married with at least one child.

Hebephiles typically have items in their homes — photographs, clothing, toys — that they use to arouse themselves, Dobbert said.

Investigators found 10 images on Bullock’s computer of children — mostly boys but one female — engaged in sex acts.

“(The hebephile’s) delusion is that once this boy meets him and they have a sexual encounter, that this boy is going to stay with him forever,” Dobbert said. “The hebephile with boys is looking for boys that have no sexual experience. It’s purity. They’re not tainted.”

Anyone with further information on this investigation or activities related to it is asked to call the Naples police department at (239) 213-4844 or the Collier County Sheriff’s Office’s Criminal Investigations Division at (239) 774-4434.

Related Topics

nplzcitizens writes:

Why was a cop involved in this in LEE Co and it's ONLY being brought to light NOW?

Ghostrider19 writes:

Oh boy here we go, you knew this was coming. Perv's don't stop with just one kid. I give this guy a week in the joint, if they don't isolate him.

swfl_ff writes:

in response to Ghostrider19:

Somehow this does not surprise me either. As you say these people do not stop with just one child.

I do have to wonder how did this bit of information stay buried from last August until now?

nativeone (Inactive) writes:

in response to happybutterfly1:

OMG I've gone cross-eyed.

francine4747 writes:

I sure hope DCF or someone gets involved, I thought he has a child and is married.

Cynical1 writes:

in response to ChefChris:

Why, are you going to go cook for him?

tried_n_true writes:

in response to happybutterfly1:

good girl.

Klaatu writes:

So LCSO had contact with this prevert and didn't arrest him? So they let him walk cause he flashed a badge? They just let him go so he could offend again?
The Lee County Deputy involved should be FIRED !

felipe writes:

i agree with the people that say that there will be more , sick people like this guy is, never stop at one or two or three !!!

SARAHbellum (Inactive) writes:

in response to swfl_ff:

I agree. Now i'm wondering if the sheriff had knowledge of this sicko before this latest incident. I would imagine the cops in LEE county would have looked to see all about him if he was involved in watching children and they would have seen he was a police officer in collier. WTF? CCSO has lost MY trust...that's for sure. Someone had knowledge of this incident from the beach.

SARAHbellum (Inactive) writes:

in response to happybutterfly1:

What happened HB? DId you get kicked off? I notice the 1 after your name.

SARAHbellum (Inactive) writes:

in response to Cynical1:

Why, are you going to go cook for him?

Well i won't suggest you put anything in it that might alter the state of his well being because that would be just wrong. ;)

SARAHbellum (Inactive) writes:

in response to happybutterfly1:

Lol...that's funny...also kinda effed up bacuse it is public knowledge...ya know? Oh well.

SARAHbellum (Inactive) writes:

So this guy is a real psycho. He used to come in my store when i worked at a gas station. He used to be all nice and stuff...it's amazing! I wish there were signs you could see just by looking at someone to know whether they are sick in the head like this guy. What about HIS child? Scummy pedophile. My new name for this guy is The Vile Pedophile. That about says it.

LP721 writes:

Blue Flame

Shaawe writes:

in response to ChefChris:

ChefChris, aka, S.O.B, Sigsewer, etc. Can't you ever post anything without being s-----? You are one messed up dude!

mds1171 writes:

Are you kidding me?????????? He was arrested in Lee County last summer and then is working in Collier County. They don't use FDLE or share a "common" background check - thanks to sherriffs department on letting this predator fall through the cracks a couple of zip codes away.

Shaawe writes:

in response to ChefChris:

Holy crap! I have a groupie!

SARAHbellum (Inactive) writes:

in response to Mod_167:

Well i don't consider being gay makes a person sick in the head...now pedophilia is another story.

SARAHbellum (Inactive) writes:

in response to SARAHbellum:

Well my bad. I should read the documents that accompany the story first. Looks like he DID use his position as a cop to get out of trouble in Lee county and they DIDN'T notify CCSO. WTF?

Wifeypoo writes:

in response to mds1171:

The Collier Deputy was never arrested in Lee County. At the time in 2009 it was just some guy hanging out by the bathroom. It says it was investigated and there was nothing found, no witnesses or something. People hang out by bathrooms all the time. Think about if you had diarrhea or were sick or something else and hung out by the bathroom somewhere one day and then someone called your work to tell them about it, sounds silly doesn't it. That was one day in Lee County. The police cannot arrest every person who goes to the restroom frequently one day. The people being interviewed by the newspapers that said they saw him in the mall or other places and say he hung out there all the time and was always in the bathroom should have said something. A few people even say he was creepy and by the boy’s bathroom all the time, now that would be a reason to contact this guy’s work wouldn’t you say?

SARAHbellum (Inactive) writes:

in response to Mod_167:

Point taken i guess.

native_at_heart writes:

in response to Wifeypoo:

I'd go home if I had those issues, not hang out at a public restroom. But, then again I won't use a public restroom.

Chester writes:

in response to nplzcitizens:

I agree. This doesn't pass the smell test!

Ghostrider19 writes:

in response to swfl_ff:

Good point...this morning before this story broke I was like..."Okay Rambosk fired him pretty quick after the investigation, he was arrested can't really do much more now. I have very little faith restored. This story just gave it a violent shove into WTF are you doing Rambosk zone again!!!" I want the freaking Feds crawling all over this place, and asking the tough questions. Track down freaking Don Hunter and grill his arse. This was a Don Hunter hire and so was that other nut job. When will law enforcement learn that just because you have previous military and law enforcement experience doesn't mean you are going to now perform well as a law enforcement officer. I am going to put forth the police academy: Citizens on Patrol idea. Seeing that the whole freaking training tree is rotten here.

Klaatu writes:

in response to mds1171:

No Never arrested in Lee County !
Must have Flashed his badge and they let him go !
Thus enabling him to continue as a sexual predator against CHILDREN!
You know how cops have to take care of one and another !

preprogrammed writes:

Yeah, the kid hated it so much, he went back twice. While I'm not condoning the behavior and Bullock should have known better. I think it's obvious the kid had some inkling what was going to happen when he went back the second time.

Leathercraftswoman (Inactive) writes:

This story reminds me of the guy who was on the school board I believe his name was Nelson Faerber that was also a pedophile and had been molesting children for years. He had a poor wife and children who had to go through the arrest and public humiliation and then he ended up blowing his brains out at a park in Naples. I don't know if you guys remember that guy but it is eerily familiar. It may end up the same way...saving the tax payers a long lengthy trial and tax dollars. (I'm just sayin...lol)

beetlejuice writes:

in response to preprogrammed:

Kid was with a predator who frequented mall bathrooms and was out to get his victim. Victim probably didn't know any better or was THREATENED BY SICK F##$^@#$ POS COP to come back. SICK SICK SICK SICK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Leathercraftswoman (Inactive) writes:

I would also like to add Nice going Lee County you waited until now to report this guy? You must have known he was a pervert as well as a cop? It should have been shared between departments. I am shocked Mike Scott let this slip through the cracks and did not report this incident to Bullock's superiors. I would think it would be common courtesy between offices to give them the heads up that one of their own could possibly be a pedophile. Even without solid proof. It may have saved a child having to go through what this 15 year old went through and God knows how many others who have not come forward yet...

norske writes:

So, was this officer on probation for the Lee County incident or was he ever charged? Why didn't CCSO know about the incident until recently? Could this child never have been molested by this officer???? I questioned what the review and hiring process is for the entire CCSO. They seem to have so many incidents -WHY?

BoulderBill (Inactive) writes:

What with all the cops busted in the last few weeks, is there any room left in the jail for the "bad guys?"

nratchet writes:

in response to native_at_heart:

Must be nice to be able to control your natural functions like that! Don't get out much do you???

native_at_heart writes:

in response to nratchet:

I have superb control.

GeeRide writes:

in response to Mod_167:

Mod_167, based on your never ending posts, you’d fail this test miserably. Guess that’s why you can’t be a cop and are doomed to living behind a keyboard collecting “evidence” to try and support your rambling, contradicting posts. Remember your post about how people resort to name calling when the dialog rises above ones intelligence? So calling them Deputies makes you exempt from that statement? Quite the contrary, you can’t rise above grade school intelligence and constantly cut & paste crap you Google searched here. FACT: You are a hypocrite.

Pags writes:

PSYCHO CCSO !! I hope they hang him by his jewels and rot !! I never allow my 7 yr old son to go to a public restroom alone and people tell me I have to start to let go----Yeah with men like this SERVING our community I should teach my child to trutst this man in uniform?! SAD for CCSO to have these things attached to their name- even sadder that he probably has alot more victims !! I have nothing but utter disgust for this man and pray he gets no special treatment due to his job - ROT !!!!!!!

bobbo22 writes:

Perhaps his name is a typo, with the L's where the T's should be.

stopdefendingscumbags writes:

I never allow my 8yr old son to go into public restroom for this very reason. Really? A cop too, what a POS GAYFER!

Naplestango writes:

Certain individuals deserve assistance and pity for they are subject to urges and cravings which they cannot overcome alone.
Anyone who choses law enforcement as a profession certainly has redeeming qualities.
Before you condemn anyone too harshly: Imagine your favorite close relative in the same predicament.

CaptKidd writes:

Usually where there is smoke there is fire. I think this will just be the tip of the iceberg. This guy is like being the Titanic. He is going down.

676 writes:

The new Jeffrey Dahmer, thanks to "professional courtesy."

brighteyes writes:

in response to Naplestango:

I guess I agree with your first comment because I do believe that child molestation is a sickness (something gone really bad in the brain) or is the devil inside a person, whatever we choose to believe. But just as with a rabid (sick) dog, what do you do when you know the individual has the "sickness" and as far as we know, there is no cure?

As far as anyone chosing law enforcement having redeeming qualities, as far as this pedophile is concerned, there are no redeeming qualities.

I cannot imagine my favorite close relative in the same predicament. If so, let's go back to #1. Love my relative, but if that's what he is doing . . . .

bigcat21 writes:

peaking???? come on NDN, can you get a real editor?

ba10da69 writes:

he is going to eat lead....

scubatenor writes:

One thing is for sure:

These are not good times for the CCSO.

But then again, it looks like the bad just goes on and on and on...

0U812 writes:

in response to Mod_167:

I wonder if they had anyone resign while under investigation for campaigning on paid time (I won't say on-duty because that is a term you will never understand).

0U812 writes:

Quoting MOD: "When your minumum education standard for employment is only a G.E.D."

MINUMUM?

Kind of takes the point out of a statement stressing the importance of education right? Old habits of poor writing from the NDN are hard to break are they not?

MaggieD writes:

in response to Naplestango:

Well put.

angrytxpyr writes:

Aside from the obvious disgusting factor just where are the internal controls at the CCSO? This guy seems to have confined his trolling activities primarily to his on duty supposed to be working hours. Is the Civil process dDivision so overstaffed that nobody noticed he got no work done and could not be accounted for? Hey Kevin R. whats the deal here, not doing his work, hanging out (literaly) at the mall, trolling trips to Ft Myers Beach andouttasite all day. Where is any accountability in this office? Did he even show up in the morning? Did anyone show up, it seeems that the entire staff of the Civil Process division needs to be trimed and have at least some accountability for what they do during the day. You know a mid day meeting at the mall should not be a routine Mr. Rambosk so if I were you I would make a few changes in that department to ensure other stuff isn't going on!!!

PISCES writes:

The article says that Lee County received a 911 call in August from a parent. A Lee Deputy questioned Bullock, then reported the incident to his commander, the commander said he would notify Collier. But according to the article the commander failed to do so. Here's their excuse for the failure to alert Collier County:
“Its a judgement call on that type of situation,” [Lt. Larry]King said. “Hindsight is 20-20. At that time, they didn’t feel it warranted contacting a supervisor.”

REALLY? They didn't FEEL it warranted contacting Collier. That's ridiculous! Wonder how they FEEL right now????