Collier narcotics agent quits; reports or associates tie shooting, drug raid to business site

Asked how a large amount of cocaine got inside an Immokalee packing plant, Noe Martinez Jr., who was shot there, said: “Nobody knows. I wish I did. ... We decided to keep our eyes open.”

Decade-old prison system photo of Noe Martinez Jr., 41, who was shot at packing house site owned by then- Collier sheriff's narcotics agent Willie H. Strickland Jr.

Photo by Provided

— A longtime Collier County sheriff’s narcotics sergeant resigned without notice, a month after a shooting at his Immokalee tomato packing building and just days after a drug raid uncovered cocaine there.

The April 2-3 raid is the talk among Immokalee farmers, produce packers and laborers — even deputies — although few people will talk publicly. Word of the large cocaine seizure has spread, but authorities will confirm only a few details about what occurred at the site of Felda Tomato Growers Inc., a 6-year-old company owned by former sheriff’s Sgt. Willie H. Strickland Jr., 50, of the Vice and Narcotics Bureau:

■ A convicted felon told deputies he’d been conducting his nightly security check of the 28405 Immokalee Road building for Felda Tomato Growers on March 9, when two Hispanic men approached and one shot him.

■ A report says the convict, Noe Martinez Jr., 41, of Poinsettia Street in Immokalee, works for Strickland’s company, although Martinez and past arrest reports say his employer is a produce company that Strickland leases the building to — Acosta’s Fresh Produce LLC.

■ The sheriff’s manual prohibits employees from associating or dealing with known criminals, except when necessary for official duties or unavoidable due to personal relationships.

■ After nearly 28 years, Strickland resigned without notice on April 7, so quickly that he misspelled Sheriff Kevin Rambosk’s name as “Rombosk” and had to amend his resignation two days later — delaying it a week “to sort out” retirement options.

Asked how a large amount of cocaine got inside the plant, Martinez, the man who was shot, said it’s uncertain.

“Nobody knows,” Martinez said. “I wish I did. ... We decided to keep our eyes open.”

Asked about the cocaine seized there, James W. Williams, who farms with Strickland and owns Williams Farms, said: “I heard it was 200 kilos.”

Such a large amount of cocaine, from 140 to 200 kilos, would weigh 308 to 440 pounds. A 2001 federal report showed cocaine’s street price was up to $35,000 per kilo, but others say it’s now $38,000 — meaning that amount would total roughly $5 million to more than $7 million on the street.

“I know some drugs were found there,” said James W. Williams, who farms with former sheriff’s Sgt. Willie H.Strickland. “I heard it was 200 kilos.”

“I know some drugs were found there,” Williams said, noting he and Strickland no longer needed that packing plant for their tomatoes, watermelons and peppers, so Strickland leased it to a produce company.

The Daily News made repeated attempts to reach Strickland, trying to contact him at a mobile home in Immokalee, a Lehigh Acres home and the packing plant, where employees say he frequently checks in.

Naples defense attorney Donald Day, who has represented Strickland in the past, denied any case is pending against him by the Sheriff’s Office, federal Drug Enforcement Administration or other agencies.

“He was never questioned and that is a lie,” Day said Friday. “There also has been no questioning or interview by anyone — no interviews by DEA, FBI, customs, Homeland Security or any other agency.”

DEA Special Agent David Melenkevitz, the spokesman for the Miami office, which covers this area, would neither confirm nor deny the Immokalee seizure or investigation, citing “strict” U.S. Department of Justice rules.

Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Karie Partington denied deputies assisted or were there, but said the March 9 shooting investigation is ongoing.

Reports show investigators checked the gun used through state and national databases. Asked if it matched a gun Strickland reported stolen in 2008, Partington said it didn’t.

“CCSO has no record of an investigation into cocaine being found at that packing house and no record of an investigation leading to Willie Strickland’s retirement,” Partington said.

When pressed about the cocaine seizure and sheriff’s employees being there, she said: “We are only able to acknowledge matters of public record.”

Martinez’s employer, Gabriel Acosta, declined comment.

State records list Noe Barreiro of Penitas, Texas; Jesus Cipriano Acosta of Bonita Springs; and Cipriano Acosta of Zacatecas, Mexico, as corporate officers of Acosta’s Fresh Produce. They couldn’t be reached for comment.

Records show Martinez is a habitual felon whose adult record dates back to 1987 and includes a dropped home invasion robbery case, and burglaries, theft, drug dealing and conspiracy to traffic marijuana charges that landed him a 10-year prison term.

Neither the DEA nor the Sheriff’s Office have warned Acosta employees not to talk, Martinez told the Daily News, calling the situation “dangerous” because he doesn’t know who is listening, “good or bad guys.”

“CCSO has no record of an investigation into cocaine being found at that packing house and no record of an investigation leading to Willie Strickland’s retirement,” Sheriff’s Office spokeswoman Karie Partington said.

However, he added, “We have nothing to hide.”

Martinez confirmed he told deputies a light blue Buick had followed him around Immokalee for days before the shooting. A sheriff’s report says: “Martinez ... did not think anything about it until after the incident.”

* * * * *

Collier sheriff’s records going back five years show the 6:45 p.m. March 9 shooting was the only incident at Strickland’s Felda Tomato Growers.

A sheriff’s report gives this account:

As he did every night after work, Martinez drove his white 2005 Hummer to the loading dock to ensure the building was secure. He heard a noise and said he saw two Hispanic men wearing black and gray, about 5 feet 5 inches and 5 feet 7 inches, approaching him. They ordered him to get out.

“Today is your day,” the shorter man said, pointing a pistol at his stomach after he exited.

They walked him to the passenger side, but he reached for the gun and heard “three to five shots” before he gained control of the gun. The men ran eastbound, through grass and bushes toward Immokalee Road, where he lost sight of them.

To read the initial report on the March 9 shooting at the site of Felda Tomato Growers Inc., owned by recently resigned Collier sheriff’s Sgt. Willie H. Strickland Jr., click on documents below.

To read the supplemental report on the March 9 shooting at the site of Felda Tomato Growers Inc., owned by recently resigned Collier sheriff’s Sgt. Willie H. Strickland Jr., click on documents below.

To read the summary of Professional Responsibility Bureau complaints against Collier sheriff’s Sgt. Willie Strickland, click on documents below.

Realizing he’d been shot and his left leg was bleeding, he called the Sheriff’s Office.

When Deputy Michael Ramos arrived, Martinez put down the black gun. Nothing was stolen, he didn’t recognize the men, who had no masks or gloves, and didn’t know why they were there. He didn’t recall them saying anything else.

He was uncertain how many times he was hit, but Ramos noted two bullet holes on the left side of Martinez’s thigh and that he appeared to be in “some pain” but could stand and talk.

Martinez didn’t sign a sworn statement because he was taken to a hospital, where doctors determined it was one shot, an entry and exit wound.

The Hummer’s front passenger door was open and evidence lying underneath and on the ground nearby was redacted from the report; Partington said the blacked-out information on the report was the gun manufacturer and other evidence.

Two bullet holes were found in the side of the packing house and other evidence was found at the scene, but it too was redacted on the report.

“It appeared the round entered the building and hit another metal object, coming to rest on the floor,” Ramos wrote, noting another round bounced off the garage door, denting it.

Sheriff’s radio transmissions, which began at 7:05 p.m., say deputies, K-9s and helicopters searched the area and orange groves to no avail. Those radio reports and a supplemental report show a few discrepancies in Martinez’s accounts.

Detective Silogene Clervoix’s supplemental report said Martinez saw two men in front of his Hummer, one pointing a pistol. According to that report:

“Today is your day,” the gunman told him. “Slide over to the passenger side.”

He slid over and the gunman pointed the gun at his stomach, telling him to get out and start walking. He struggled with the gunman, heard two shots and realized his leg was hit. He grabbed the gun and shot at the men as they fled on foot. He said they never asked for money.

On March 14, when Clervoix interviewed him, Martinez said he heard a knock on the driver’s side window and saw a man dressed in black pointing a gun, saying: “Put the window down.”

He rolled it down, asking what he wanted and was told to get out. When he did, he saw two men, who said: “Today is your day. Let’s go around the building.”

The gunman ordered him to walk to the passenger side, where Martinez opened the door and faced the men, who began “closing in” as the gunman pointed his pistol inches from Martinez’s stomach.

The men refused to say what they wanted and after Martinez refused to cooperate, one became “very nervous.”

The two struggled and the other man punched Martinez’s face. Martinez stuck his finger inside the trigger guard and squeezed the trigger twice, prompting the other man to run.

“Martinez stated after firing the gun, he felt a burning sensation above his left knee,” the report said.

The gunman let go, fleeing as Martinez fired. Martinez didn’t injure either man, whom he described as Mexican-American, ages 19 to 25, without accents.

Related Topics

Related Links

naplessell writes:

Well, no wonder drug arrests in Immokalee are so low. The cocaine business pays better than the tomato business.

I think we found a new hub in drugs; Miami just isn't as sleepy as rural Collier.

jbm9 writes:

o.k. i'll start then,lets hear the rest of the story. it appears as usual a sudden retirement at age 50? funny freeman retired for his acuisations against him and no investigation. it must be policy,screw up ,break the law then just quit and retire,no problem.

swfl_ff writes:

This certainly should be interesting to see how it plays out. There is still a lot of information missing here.

Well if nothing else Cornell Law ought to have a field day with this one.

Flacrkr writes:

in response to lobo617:

Maybe after she finishes shaving.

Leathercraftswoman (Inactive) writes:

OH My God where to begin?? This goes way beyond my usual lack of integrity speech concerning the CCSO. I have to say they just left me speechless!! What is there even to say... is anyone surprised? Sadly, I am not the least bit surprised. So, Sheriff Rambosk, what do you have to say? Literally right under your nose ...you mine as well be snorting it yourself at this point...

apersonwhocares writes:

"You wanna get rid of drug crime in this country? Fine, let's just get rid of all the drug laws."
Ron Paul

Leathercraftswoman (Inactive) writes:

in response to Cornell_Law:

Cornell thank you so much for that link I never laughed so hard in my life. The CCSO comments are even funnier then ours !!!!

Opinionated writes:

Not sure if I comprehend this; agent Willie H. Strickland Jr. Whose picture shows the tattoo of tears from his left eye- was a law enforcement officer?? Don't we all know what that tattoo means? I do. And it's not a good thing. Please correct me if I’m wrong.

Opinionated writes:

Noe Martinez Jr...sorry

gimmiefacts writes:

CCSO does a great job of covering up for their decorated employees. Strickland has been corrupt for several years; resignation seems to be his only punishment. Immigration is only one of Immokalee's problems. This story is full of more holes than a convict guard at a rundown phony packing house. #justice please

NaplesTaco writes:

Shock. Please don't let Collier bury this story. This needs attention.

NaplesTaco writes:

I am really in shock. Good investigating NDN.

Leathercraftswoman (Inactive) writes:

in response to Cornell_Law:

So now the gist of it is we are now going to pay him a big fat pension when it appears he "allegedly" may have supplied Collier County for the past who knows how many years?!! Our taxpayers dollars at work hard as always...?!!

Dormouse writes:

Isn’t it funny how all these articles about bad cops come out on the week end? Then all of a sudden they disappear come Monday. What else does the sheriffs’ office hold back? I not smell a rat; I smell a whole herd of them.

satsmojoe writes:

umm.. is this an actual news story?

Trexler writes:

Yeah, reminds me of Everglades City 30 yrs ago, tons of everything passes thru under the noses of 'all'..in this case Strickland was more powerful on the street than "RomBosk"..ex-con guards, out of business Texas connected agricultural products co...no telling how much product went thru over the years, supplying the East Coast & more..and you can bet that the transporters had/have protective cop cover from Immokalee all over the eastern US...oh well, keep arresting those crack women of ill repute on Bayshore with .01 powder on their noses....I feel safe..(I dont think I said women of ill repute..)

mng (Inactive) writes:

"CCSO has no record of an investigation into cocaine being found at that packing house and no record of an investigation leading to Willie Strickland’s retirement,” Partington said.

Strickland for 23 years as a narcotics officer was most likely dealing in it himself. He had the inside knowledge and probably decided it payed better than his profession.
So, CCSO, you have no knowledge? Oh please, what BS.
He retires because he is guilty. But he is not off the hook...right Sheriff Rombosk??
If this suddenly goes away, the Sheriff on down need to be investigated and fired.

What a bunch of corrupt losers. Never ending. Post Stickland's photo, so we can all see what a drug dealer looks like.

Kyser851 writes:

Who just up and quits their job these days?

aircavnam writes:

in response to Dormouse:

Dormouse, I think you are only partially correct. It seems the good sheriff routinely releases bad news after good. This I am sure is an attempt to soften the blow. In this case you have true heroes saving lives and then Rambosk drops the bomb. Well apparently Rambosk is only concerned with himself. A true leader would not take advantage of the sweat and blood of his troops. Rambosk and all his advisers should not only be ashamed but should also resign in shame.
You sir (Rambosk) I would not go to war with.

shaynelewis writes:

in response to aircavnam:

You sir (Rambosk) I would not go to war with.

I agree.

Very shocking but not surprising. This should open the door for change in this administration.

Why don't we hear from the Sheriff? Instead, we get a low level spokesperson? I'm not sure that's the best way to go.

serpico writes:

wow I thought New York was bad. This is one hell of a cover up.

Naplestango writes:

Didn't Obama pledge to legalize recreational drugs?
And Florida is licensing escorts?
I see a perfect world on the rise...

BoulderBill (Inactive) writes:

Oh oh....

This ain't gonna have a pretty ending.

Someone is gonna end up talking or missing........

Either way, the sheet is gonna hit the fan.

Banker26 writes:

Pieces of garbage.

swamp4ever writes:

Hey, I want my penny a pound back!

beetlejuice writes:

Wonder what cost of tomato sans coke bust will be?
Wonder why Rambo is hard tuh spell?
Wonder why Rambo drives like a maniac in unmarked cruiser?
Slow down fer Gaaaaahd's sake.

profiler writes:

Cops routinely plant evidence and lie under oath. I didn't believe that till one lied under oath against me. Since that time I have said "F" amerika.....
amerika is a nazi gestapo police state. Armed revolution may be the only way to get our rights back.
Since that time I have intentionally let several criminals get away scott free. Do unto the gestapo government...as they have done unto you. My last time I got summoned for jury duty I knew how I would vote before I even got there. One of the best ways to get back at this gestapo government is to tell them anything they want to hear when you are on a jury...and then vote "not guilty". Other things you can do are to expose gestapo officers working undercover. It is not a crime to tell someone that a cop is undercover-yet but this gestapo government will stop at NOTHING to protect is crooked interests and to strangle more of your rights and freedoms. After I had a cop willfully, knowingly, and intentionally lie under oath against me I found about the truth about nazi amerika. Since that day I have said "F" america and anything I can do to "F" amerika...amerika deserves.
When you serve on a jury you can tell the nazi police state what they would like to hear..and then vote "not guilty". I have witnessed several crimes and NEVER helped gestapo amerika. If any nazi official or their family is hurt or whatever and I see them I will let them die....
NEVER NEVER NEVER help the gestapo government or their families....
The lines are drawn: the government vs the people. Who will you take up arms against...the people...or the gestapo?

profiler writes:

Hey cornell...I DID my civic duty. I reported the cop for perjury. They swept it under the rug. The attorney representing me told me they routinely lie under oath. I thought he was lying to justify his fees. He then told me to forget it because if I raised a complaint that they would get me...legally or illegally. Well...they already perjured once under oath...so why would I NOT believe the lawyer? I hope one day I will see a nazi lying in the street bleeding...I will take the opportunity to do unto them as they have done unto me. The attorney went on to become the head gestapo attoney where I lived. Lovely to see how justice works. He knows the cops lie under oath. He tells his clients that they routinely lie under oath...and then goes to work for THEM. The gestapo. Of course...he is an attorney...and they do have an interest in "justice" LOL! One thing I did note in your post was the absence of any comments about gestapo officers lying under oath and how they victimize people. Are you that disillusioned you think it doesn't happen? Should this POS government be held accountable. You say we have a duty to report crimes...but where is the duty by our corrupt system to punish the perjuring nazi? Is it OK if they lie under oath against us? Should we help them when they frame people and lie under oath?
amerika is a gestapo police state. Judging by your screen name...if you are an attorney you have a financial interest in perpetuating the fraud and lies of our alleged "justice" system. amerika is a fraud...as is our gestapo government. Freedom is an illusion. One day it may come to armed revolution. Whose side will you be on...the gestapo...or the people. I suspect the gestapo police state.
Go ahead and tell everyone how they have a "civic duty" to a corrupt nazi government....we need a good laugh! I owe nazi amerika the same as it has done to me. I swear never to lie under oath any more than the cops, the judges, and the politicians. LOL!!!

Iseeyouon41 writes:

Has anyone seen /checked the evidence locker. This seems like a rogue cop, just like in nyc- thinking above the law and using convicts for the dirty work/protection.. bust him/jail him and it is over for now, are other members of our beloved gestapo involved??

Iseeyouon41 writes:

in response to Cornell_Law:

You are great for these facts, could it be another FRENCH CONNECTION in our backyard. I hope the sheriif does a deep investigation, there are more involved in this caper..To "protect and serve and increase our bank/retirement accounts"

tried_n_true writes:

You're doing one hellova job, Rombosk.... ready to move to Costa Rico yet?

Interestingread writes:

Interestingread writes:

in response to vinnybombotz:

Leathercraftswoman (Inactive) writes:

in response to mng:

So, CCSO, you have no knowledge? Oh please, what BS.

Great Post I couldn't agree with you more..They have needed to clean house since Sheriff Hunter's reign it is long, long overdue.

swamp4ever writes:

What happened to the officer that ran into the school bus?

keekee writes:

Is it just me, because I know it could be just me, but is the writing of this story convoluted and confusing?

I swear I read it from top to bottom, (which I will surely do again) but I'm really just as confused as when I started.

So many of these stories are written like this online. I don’t get the hard copy paper, but are they written differently for the newsstand, I hope?

I remember in my journalism class (way back when dinosaurs roamed the earth) something about the five “W’s” (who, what, where, when, why) and then we had to produce an “H” for how!

This story may have all of that, but I’m still confused, so I ask again, (and be kind) but is it just me?

RoadKing writes:

in response to keekee:

It is not you keekee. this kind of journalism is notorious when authored By AISLING SWIFT.

keekee writes:

in response to RoadKing:

Whew! Thanks.

serpico writes:

in response to Cornell_Law:

Cornell,
One point you didn't focus on was the amount of money raised during the campaign for sheriff. Now I am not saying anything was wrong, however didn't Rambosk raise the most money of any sheriff in history? If it looks like a duck, walks like a duck, and quacks like a duck. MMMMMMMMMM
Then never to be seen again.

Davidh239 writes:

in response to keekee:

I agree. And then there are the ABCs, accuracy , brevity and clarity. The writer would have flunked the journalism class that I attended ( also back in the stone age).

Speaking of Immokalee and the Sheriff's office, does anyone remember Glendell Edison? Was he incarcerated?

WILDBILL82 writes:

LOL.. HERE'S THE DEAL.. IF HE GET'S CONVICTED FOR IS ROLL IN THIS, DO U KNOW HOW MANY CASE WOULD BE JEOPARDIZE AND HOW MUCH THE COUNTY WOULD HAVE TO PAY BACK....THAT'S WHY EVERYTHING IS BEING KEPT A SECRET....

Iseeyouon41 writes:

in response to Leathercraftswoman:

Great post, um sheriff maybe in tijuana smoking with pedro and counting money

Iseeyouon41 writes:

Call father stan, he knows how to collect money

RoadKing writes:

in response to Davidh239:

Yes, Glendell "peewee" Edison http://florida.arrests.org/Arrests/Gl... and Jim Sanders. Where are they now?

naplestan writes:

Caught white handed.

keekee writes:

in response to Cornell_Law:

LOL, but I wouldn’t be too hard on the reporter, I have to assume that anything for print must go through an editing process and must be OK’d by an editor, right? Maybe not. I just don’t know.

Besides, maybe Mr. Swift is just biding time until he can publish that all American bestselling novel he has been working on. The reporter may be distracted by the things he has to write to make a living and the ideas he has in his head for bigger more important draft.

I can relate, I’ve been working on my all American bestselling novel for the past thirty years or so! LOL

ramfan33936 writes:

in response to RoadKing:

Who cares??? Jim Sanders served his time for being set up by a corrupt system!!!

naptownnative writes:

in response to profiler:

NEVER NEVER NEVER help the gestapo government or their families....

Hey NDN, maybe you ought to report this guy Homeland Security. Just a thought.

keekee writes:

in response to profiler:

NEVER NEVER NEVER help the gestapo government or their families....

Hey, I read this book, “The Runaway Jury” by John Grisham, right?

Interestingread writes: