Mitt Romney coming to Naples for private fundraiser

Who has your vote for president?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Mitt Romney is expected to be in Naples on Sunday, but don’t expect to see him.

The presumptive GOP presidential nominee will be at the home of Francis Rooney for a private fundraiser. It’s unclear what time Romney will visit.

Romney is also expected to go to West Palm Beach for a fundraiser, according to the Associated Press.

The last time Romney visited Southwest Florida was the week leading up to the state’s Jan. 31, Republican primary, which he won handily.

A couple of days before the vote, more than 2,000 people crammed into Sugden Plaza on Fifth Avenue South in Naples, where Romney spoke for about 15 minutes. Earlier that week he stopped at a foreclosed home in Lehigh Acres, promising, if elected, to create more jobs and keep people in their homes.

“The president has failed Florida and failed America,” Romney said of President Barack Obama during the Lehigh stop.

Last November, Romney made a brief stop at the Naples Yacht Club for a private fundraiser, posing for photos and speaking to about 200 supporters about jobs and the economy, attendees said.

Romney also visited Naples in October 2007, marching in the annual Swamp Buggy Parade.

Obama has made a couple of trips to Florida this week as well, speaking at Florida Atlantic University in Boca Raton on Tuesday and touring the Tampa seaport on Friday.

Related Topics

Related Links

swfl_ff writes:

Another candidate who swoops through Naples and grabs a bag of money and heads right back out. Although I don't care for Newt Gingrich I have to give him credit. At least he held a public rally.

everglds writes:

In 2011, Rooney Holdings, donated $1 million to Restore Our Future, Inc., the Superpac supporting Mitt Romney's presidential campaign

Now it's 2012, time for some more money

unfatcat writes:

Naples seems to be a hub for collecting big contribution checks to all campaigns (Dems and Repubs.) No news here.

Redshoulderedhawk writes:

Biggest phony on the planet.

manatee writes:

in response to Redshoulderedhawk:

Biggest phony on the planet.

Ummm...NO! That would be the "chosen one" currently in office!!!

chucky writes:

Sniff, sniff ...ya smell that! That's what success smells like.

Maybe Obama has finally learned, you cant spend your way out of debt!

meex writes:

G'Blower, when there is nothing to say, please say nothing. This is no different than your beloved impreached, disbarred, draft-dodging sexual predator, William Jefferson Blyth Clinton, doing his money raising laps through Hollywood.

fritobandito writes:

Wow, big surprise. Gordon Gecko coming to Naples for a private fundraiser. What a fraud.

Banker26 writes:

Who cares. Make it a quick visit you loser.

jacktanner writes:

Consistently Correct Leader

Ron Paul is the last – and real – conservative alternative for President.
Ron Paul is the only one who has offered a serious plan with real cuts and a real path to economic prosperity.
Ron Paul's past record, plan for the future, and appeal from a wide variety of general election voters, make him the only logical choice for the Republican nomination.

Greatest threat to national security and number one campaign issue

First Year Spending Cuts One-Trillion.
Third Year Balanced Budget.

“The House GOP’s budget proposal does not balance the budget until the year 2040, and it adds billions to our already exploding deficits. In fact, this budget doesn't actually 'cut' any spending. It only reduces assumed increases in spending - essentially playing the same game the Washington establishment has played for years with our hard-earned money."

profiler writes:

Please DO NOT vote. You owe this nazi country and these crook politicians NOTHING. Do you REALLY believe these people will represent you...or themselves? Why does congress have a special retirement plan..only open to them? Why does congress have special medical...open only to them? Why do THEY get to vote themselves a pay raise...rather than letting the people vote them on the merit of their job? Are you REALLY dumb enough to believe ANY of their lies? They are all frauds. PLEASE DO NOT VOTE. Please disavow any so called "duties?" as a "citizen". amerika is a fascist nazi police state. amerika is the biggest world bully. amerika is the most corrupt terrorist state in the world. KEEP ON VOTING...and see where it gets you! Where has it gotten you so far? You have been sold out by every one of the prostitutes in DC. They are self serving vermin. They are corrupt insiders ripping off the outsiders. you show me a politician..and I will show you a crook!

Colorado (Inactive) writes:

Speaking of Romney, I'm very surprised that Ann Romney spoke at the NRA convention today. She has 5 sons and professes to be a caring Mom. The NRA is indirectly responsible for the deaths of thousands of innocent children in it's unbrideled effort to get guns in the hands of anybody with a warm body. It, the NRA, has opposed every effort to make gun ownership safe and responsible. It has opposed waiting periods, psychological evaluations, it has opposed limiting the amount of rounds in a clip and a host of other reasonable measures to limit gun violence. In short, the NRA supports gun violence and that makes the NRA a domestic terrorist organization. The organization has blood on it's hands and why Ann Romney, as a mother, would speak to such an organization says a lot about what Ann Romney is all about.

dmarko326 writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

It's all play money. Big CEOs playing with money made off the backs of others. Who is really worth $100 million or more by actually doing an honest days labor.

donkeydrone writes:

in response to Colorado:

If I put a gun on the table in front of you let me know when it goes off and shoots you.
The gun is a tool not the murderous weapon you say it is. It's no different than a rock, a knife, a base ball bat etc.... The piece of defecation that pick's it up and uses it to shoot a person is the problem.

jagv05652 writes:

Guess how much in tax breaks he will promise in return.

Sane_in_Florida (Inactive) writes:

Not sure what Mittens (credit to Tamer for that) thinks exactly about foreign policy toward North Korea but this about sums up the Republican position)

in response to tigershark:

"if we had a real presdent in the white house north korea wouldn't be blowing off any missles but with Obama the commie in charge we look weak and the rest of the world no's as long as this clown is in office they can get away with murder .and what the hell are we giving these commies food anyway they hate us , wake up Obama you clown"

That's about as ridiculous as saying on September 11th 2001 that if we had a real President in office we would not have been attacked by Saudi operatives!

You're attitude is rapidly falling into the minority. We do not need to be the world police and the only reason we continue to be attacked, much like the Romans, is because of our global military presence that ultimately weakens us.

One of your Republican forefathers - President Dwight Eisenhower, a much truer conservative than you or any of your intellectually-challenged cohorts, warned of your very intellectual folly yet year after year you idiots fail to study Roman history (or in terms of economics - French history and their revolution) and acknowledge the irrefutable parallels.

The Romans spread their military seed all over the world and the inferior Barbarians overcame them with pure brute. The wealthy elites in France concentrated the wealth to so few until so many people fell into poverty that a revolt ensued and many of those wealthy ended up dead and headless.

You have a thinker in the White House and his intelligence over your ignorance simply drives you and your retard temper nuts.

almasonlybar writes:

in response to fritobandito:

Yeah, it's pretty rotten that George Clooney isn't doing it, right??!

BringItOn writes:

scorky writes:

When we vote in Nov. can we vote for NONE OF THE ABOVE?

timetospeak writes:

You know I have been thinking about a lot of things. I have always worked and payed my share. Today under Obama as hard as i work it just does not get better. I used to have an HSA. Was a good way to put money away. Under Obama no more HSA. I now spend almost 150.00 a month for insurance. If I do not use it its gone. I use over the counter drugs to treat my asthma. I spent most of what I saved in my HSA on over the counter drugs and making up the difference from inflation. I am now being told by the IRS that I now owe more because the HSA spendings were not allowed by the IRS. I think I will just do such a bad job at work that I get fired. Then I will have no income so I can get things payed for by the government. After all the more I work the more they take. If I do not work I have nothing to give so I will be able for the wonderful things that the rest of you taxpayers are going to give me. I rally would like to keep going as I am but why? Every month that goes by I get a bit more behind. Gas is up, groceries, and everything in our lives are up. Well all but wages. So tell me where I am wrong. Its about time to become a liberal and let all the hard working people suppoert me

Chester writes:

Hmm? Annual, average federal deficit's around 1.3 trillion dollars, national debt closing in on 16 trillion, gas is at $4.00 a gallon and climbing, unemployment still over 8%. Obumbles is a total failure, time to give someone else a chance. I will vote for Mitt, however, if he sucks then we need to get rid of him in 2016! Solve problems or pack your bags, regardless of party!

MisterK writes:

in response to timetospeak:

HSA's were a risky bet. You were betting W was right. He wanted everybody to invest in HSA's. Unfortunately, there were drawbacks to those plans and you are living proof of those drawbacks. Now, before you join the unemployed capitalists, I suggest to you to forget about it. Unemployed capitalism will bring you greater risks than just staying the course of employed capitalism. It may sound like ice tea and bicycle rides, but unemployment and welfare are not a hit parade.

pickleed writes:

I don't think it is going to matter which of the two of them become president - Nothing is going to change. Call me done

profiler writes:

in response to timetospeak:

I think your idea is GREAT. People that work and are middle income or less are punished by the system. I have a few suggestions:
1. If you need healthcare..go to the ER. They don't force you to pay..you can walk..and never pay the bill. I have tens of thousands in medical bills. When I need medical I go to the ER. I haven't paid them..and will NEVER pay them. You have paid into this system for years...and WHAT has this POS gestapo government done for YOU? Anything?
2. Get fired and start drawing unemployment. Apply for food stamps. If you need extra money try and start buying and selling stuff at garage sales, flea markets, craigslist, etc. As long as you buy and sell for cash there is no way for the gestapo IRS to track your money. Do anything and everything you can under the table. To HELL with the nazis and their corrupt system! Under system D (cash under the table) you will stand a better chance to survive. To hell with the nazis and their business rules.
3. Rip off the government any chance you get legally or illegally. Remember...they victimize you..you owe them NOTHING. Look at all the crook politicians. They say they represent you..but for some reason they get wealthy serving "you"...while you go down the toilet.
4. Try and find a roommate or two. Make sure they pay in cash only.
5. Be sure and close any bank accounts, credit cards, etc. The gestapo IRS, as well as other brances of the nazi police state government track your every use and transaction in checking accounts, savings accounts, credit cards...everything.
6. Steal anything you think you can easily get away with. Honesty and hard work are punished. It is every man for himself.
Honest work is punished.
7. Try and get a government job. You won't have to earn your way and you can live off everyone else. As a public servant..you will be serving yourself.

RoadKing writes:

in response to timetospeak:

Try getting an education, maybe. At least past the 8th grade.

Klaatu writes:

I HOPE THEY ALL GIVE HIM LOTS OF MONEY !!

JUST TO SEE IT WASTED IN NOV. WHEN OBAMA CLEANS THE GOP'S CLOCK ONCE AGAIN !!!

ROMNEY HAS LESS OF A CHANCE THAN McCain did!

The GOP has lost all credibility !
They'll lose the house also!

Silent1nomore writes:

in response to Colorado:

What???

And I used to think people from Colorado had common sense!

JunkYardDog_1 (Inactive) writes:

in response to Redshoulderedhawk:

Biggest phony on the planet.

That would be the great "Divider in Thief", Obama?

babbas writes:

Same old names on the blog board. Same old ad hominem attacks. Does anyone know how to debate around here? When you just throw stones at eachother, or Obama, or Romney, without addressing facts which explain your position, you just appear unintelligent. Well, maybe that is the case!

Beachglow writes:

in response to swfl_ff:

That's because Newt swooped into Las Vegas where his wealthy entrepreneur backer wrote checks for his campaign.
However, the backer just cut him off saying he doesn't have a chance of winning according to the WSJ.

Beachglow writes:

in response to babbas:

I believe you are correct. Lots of uneducated people here who attack each other and do not have the education to blog intelligible responses to articles.

Thank you for also observing that. Thought that's what comment section was for, to make an educated response, which rarely happens here.

FlatEarthSocietyMamber writes:

Did not Mitt say everything to everybody about that!

410 writes:

Greed is good! Mitt will be here to tell you all of his opinions on all issues....he has several opinions about everything, so it takes twice the money to get the point across. Besides, his wife was a stay at home Mom, so they don't have a lot of disposable income.

tucknrun3 writes:

in response to Colorado:

Well don't we have a fine collection of liberal, give-me-something-for-nothing group of wallet envy folks today. Here's a tip Colorado....go west. Go home. This is Florida and we absolutely believe in the right to have guns. Lots of guns. Come on over this afternoon and help me clean mine.

Gun violence begins and ends with the idiots that use them. And I know if you ever find yourself in a situation where some low life is trying to take advantage of you or your family you will start praying someone with a gun comes to your rescue.

I have no use for the NRA's political side. The right to bear arms....you betcha.

tucknrun3 writes:

in response to profiler:

Nazi country? Have you ever read about Nazi Germany? Ok I will back up have you read anything other than US and People mag?

The difference with America you fool is our right to vote. Get involved using intelligence ( I know but maybe if you try you can find some) and make a difference. Or just move to another country. Say Cuba. Idiot.

tucknrun3 writes:

in response to BringItOn:

Way to tell him BringItMoron. The hell with someone that starts that works hard and makes himself millions of dollars. Who the hell does he think he is. He needs to just give his life's work away to people like you that...well just what is it that you do Ace? I am sure you are a college grad? Or maybe a small business owner that started from nothing and worked hard to have the American dream? You gotta be someone that knows the value of a dollar and wants to contribute to those less fortunate than yourself?

Or just another putz that is looking for a handout jealous of anyone that made themselves a success?

tucknrun3 writes:

Last comment before enjoying the weekend in my RV. Once again we see the Honorable Francis Rooney, owner of MANHATTAN (FLORIDA), formerly known as Kraft Construction, getting ready to toss another some more major money to Mitt.

Don't get me wrong Mitt needs to pull off the upset and boot the #1 MORON out of the Washington.

Just can't resist pointing out to all those wonderful old clients of MANHATTAN (FLORIDA), formerly known as Kraft Construction, to watch out for the new stream of change order requests the MANHATTAN (FLORIDA)employees will be shooting your way. Yes that means MOORINGS PARK, FGCU, CARMAX, COLLIER COUNTY SCHOOLS, HYATT COCONUT, COMMUNITY SCHOOL, MOORINGS PARK, CHILDREN'S MUSEUM, CITY OF NAPLES, to name a few. Did I say MOORINGS PARK?

Max_Headroom writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

For ONCE, and I DO mean ONCE, you are correct. LESS taxes keeps more money in the hands of the people.

tried_n_true writes:

As we get closer to the end of the Republican Circus 2012, I must applaud the entertainment they have provided... I haven't laughed this hard in a long time. From Bachmann, Cain, Santorum, Newt, Perry; it was a cornucopia of idiocy. Now they are settling for the candidate no one really likes, Mitt Romney. I look forward to the plethora of negative ads all this money will buy, because, of course, pro-Romney ads will be too hard to produce. The story does have a happy ending... 4 more years for President Obama and a better nation for all, instead of just the filthy rich.

NaplesTaco writes:

Doesn't it bother anyone that the MAJOR donors are funding both sides?

Romney will be no different than Obama.

If you look at the direction of this country in the last 30 years. It has gone further to the right every year.

How far to the extreme is everyone willing to go?

We are headed towards what they (leaders)will call Austerity but the majority of Americans will call Famine with stripped civil liberties.

How long until you are affected?

milo writes:

Mitt has no chance. The politics of Nixon (Crook and Liar) Reagan (Over rated White Supremist Phoney) and Bush (Clueless Moron) are OVER. Obama will take him to the woodshed.

Ironbutterfly writes:

The libs are getting restless, I can hear their swan song in every post, bye bye Obama.
Mitt's secret weapon is his wife, a first lady with class.

BackwoodsBill writes:

Sorry, I don't read most of the comments anymore. Too much bitterness on both sides, here and in Congress. I think Mitt's the guy because he got things done in Massachusetts by working with both parties.

tried_n_true writes:

that's pretty funny, IronButterfly..... I would bet you, but Republicans are notorious welshers.

justsaynoemore writes:

He must be coming to take bribes to build the wrong side of the I-75 Coo-Coo-nut Road exchange. Actually, isn't it illegal to hold private fundraisers like Young did?

Ironbutterfly writes:

in response to tried_n_true:

I don't blame you for not betting, liberals are notorious losers.

NaplesTaco writes:

Ironbutterly instead of describing what other people are like that you have no interaction with other than online jestering, why don't you describe yourself and what you stand for.

Calling people names seems like the easiest way to make a person feel better around here.

I know many conservatives, I know many liberals. I know good people and bad people.

There are good liberals and good conservatives.

What is bad is xenophobia. Which is the fear of change and something different.

That is what every comment that makes disparaging remarks about the other ideology reeks of.

STONECRAB writes:

You Tube 'George Carlin " on who is really running the country !

NaplesTaco writes:

I don't understand why everyone doesn't question Romney's intention?

Then Barnes included this fascinating sentence: “According to a Romney adviser, his private view of immigration isn’t as anti-immigrant as he often sounded.”

wtf. does that mean/ he will say things to get elected and then act differently?

Seriously. Following a party blindly, Or voting for anyone but the current person is a quick way to continue down the path to ..

Well you guys understand where this country is headed.

Ironbutterfly writes:

in response to NaplesTaco:

There are good liberals and good conservatives.

What is bad is xenophobia. Which is the fear of change and something different.

Why don't don't you learn to read before you spout off?
As far as describing myself, I don't put up with faux independant and liberal BS, is that descriptive enough for you?