Naples ranked ninth best small town in America

Naples was named the ninth best small town in America by Smithsonian Magazine.

The magazine's May edition cited Naples' world-class music, arts, design, community theater, zoo — and of course weather — in its ranking.

"Even when it's snowing somewhere up north, around the historic Naples Pier they're catching mackerel, opening beach umbrellas and looking for treasure in the surf," said the article listing the 20 best small towns in America. "Grandkids are building sand castles, pelicans are squawking and the Gulf of Mexico is smooth as far as the eye can see."

Topping the list is Great Barrington, Mass., where big-city smarts meets New England natural in an art-rich mountain setting.

To read the article, visit: www.smithsonianmag.com/travel/The-20-Best-Small-Towns-in-America.html

cozyboy writes:

Wow after reading about uzi's on the the pier ya gotta wonder.

Here4Now writes:

Yah, it's friggin' perfect down here. Keep spreading that lie, boys - I got two properties I gotta unload on some s----- slob who believes it.

Here4Now writes:

Point of clarification - does that include Golden Ghetto, Immokalee, and East Naples too????????

ezdozit writes:

I guess they didn't see the "Uzi's at Naples Pier" story, or the "drunks fight on St. Patty's Day" story.

thewayIfeel writes:

Somebody was drunk when they wrote that article!

Sick writes:

Golden Gate is the best rural community also if you only include the dirt road culture.

Pre detrmined outcome for Naples with that data.

I like the uzi and armed robbery of 5 banks in recent Naples news.

Thank god it was all to the south and east of where I live.

swampbuggy writes:

in response to Sick:

Pre detrmined outcome for Naples with that data.

I like the uzi and armed robbery of 5 banks in recent Naples news.

Thank god it was all to the south and east of where I live.

Thank god it was further to the west of where I live than east of where you live.

Beachglow writes:

Yep, if you ignore all the NDN bloggers, it's a great town. After all life is what you make of it. If you're a miserable person, it won't matter where you live.

I love Naples.

profiler writes:

The government tell us that in a democratic system, we can vote and that this is our choice. We have nothing to complain about. If we don’t like the system, we can change it. But this is wholly illusory. The government completely owns the democratic system and administers it to generate the types of results that government wants. More and more people are catching on to this, which is why voter participation falls further in every election season

joeybaccala writes:

I think the article means Naples on the Gulf...NOT unincorporated "Naples".

myrealname writes:

Pelicans squawk?? Thats news to me.

joeblow writes:

Who says this??? This article has no merit. Some dude just had an automatic weapon at the pier or something.

dixielee writes:

yet another reason I left, with any luck you'll be able to also

erock writes:

It's really friendly for people who ride bikes, too.

theabyss writes:

I hear if you are in the service industry it is a great, affordable, place to live... hahaha! Are you sure they have not legalized marijuana without notifying anyone???

HelenaHandbasket writes:

What the heck were they smoking when they decided this?

doublezero writes:

People, life is too short to live in a place where you are miserable. Why do people continue to live in a place they don't like, and why are the ones who did leave continue to be read the Naples Daily News. Get a life.. lmao

dixielee writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

yes I am, but I went "north" to get south again. still south of the Ga. line,

Ruger writes:

in response to Beachglow:

I love Naples.

THIS

Haters are gonna Hate!!

BillBrasky writes:

People who whine about Naples have lived very sheltered lives.

Hollywoody writes:

You ignorant rednecks that don't like Naples should take your fat Butt back north or at least move to ft misery or wehigh acres!

tampacoco writes:

I needed a good laugh this morning, Guess they don't read the Naples News.

sillyfluff writes:

in response to 1wildman:

Thank u guys! I fled the concrete prison jungle last week after 18 years. I now living in a small New England town. I couldn't be happier

DonkeyWhispererakaDuh_novan writes:

Accomplished the purchase of an RV to campaign on!! Putting Canadians back to work.

Colorado (Inactive) writes:

in response to Beachglow:

I love Naples.

And you probably deserve Naples too.

suntan writes:

For all the Negative commenters about the Naples area, I have ONE Suggestion.....MOVE and take your sh-t for brains atitude with you.

Bigkondorsback (Inactive) writes:

in response to Sick:

Pre detrmined outcome for Naples with that data.

I like the uzi and armed robbery of 5 banks in recent Naples news.

Thank god it was all to the south and east of where I live.

I thought you lived in Port Royal? Last I checked, the pier was NORTH of Port Royal. Can't keep up with your fantasy stories??

Quietcat writes:

in response to Beachglow:

I love Naples.

I couldn't agree more. I really wonder about some of the people who comment here- if it's so horrible why live here? It's not a prison camp with guards keeping you in. And if you don't live here anymore, why continue to make nasty comments on this blog? Surely there must be a paper in your new idyllic town clamoring for your insights. Apparently a lot of people find this area desirable in spite of some minor criminal activity that occurs EVERYWHERE in this country. Get over it.

malcolmlandry writes:

Is this where you comment on the michelle obama trip?

ChiMary writes:

After years of living in the Midwest, I can tell you that Naples is a far better place to call home. Every city and community has its' problems, and Naples is no different, however there are so many positives that Naples has to offer that I can understand why it is listed as one of the best small towns in America.

DonkeyWhispererakaDuh_novan writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

Because he was not caught in the bushes, and if he was it would be really animals making those noises!! LOL! RIGHT!

IMFROMHERE writes:

in response to 1wildman:

Well then don't let Bonita Springs hit you in the !@# on your way out. Then again it still cracks me up that those of you who complain about the area and moved away still can't resist the urge to log on to the Naples News site to see what's going on and try to take part.

suntan writes:

in response to 1wildman:

I only needed one for Big AH's like you. When are you leaving??? Soon I hope.

sillyfluff writes:

in response to IMFROMHERE:

Naples was my home for 18 years. If I want to continue looking at NDN (and I'm sure the paper appreciates that) than whats wrong with that? It's not that I hated Naples. I just couldn't afford to live there because the economy was bad and it really was turning into another Miami. Where I am now, the economy is much stronger, there are more jobs with much less crime and congestion. Every town across this country has people that don't like living there. Big deal.

Quietcat writes:

in response to 1wildman:

In no particular order: high taxes, cold winters, bad roads, blizzards, overbearing town councils telling you what you can't do on your own property, rampant Lyme disease, snow removal, antiquated infrastructure, liberals telling me how to live, heating oil bills, choice of "quaint" over-priced in-town shops or crummy strip malls on the out-skirts, high cost of living, dreary, dead landscape 5+ months of the year, Fall clean-up, frozen pipes, deer eating all my plants, people afraid of guns, etc.,etc.

Ghostrider19 writes:

in response to BillBrasky:

People who whine about Naples have lived very sheltered lives.

People who whine about Naples are usually younger, and from metro areas before they moved to Naples, and realized they made a huge mistake and thought beach and weather were keys to happiness. They found snobs, wannabe rich people, fakers, horrible schools, corrupt government, miserable northerners, overpriced everything "cause its naples" mentality, no direction or vision for the town, or business drivers to make businesses stay, and the snotty looks I got because yes a 32 year old guy drives a better car than you looks, and no I'm not a drug dealer.

So I moved and am happier for it, bought two houses one close to the beach but on the West Coast (not Miami or Lauderdale) so I can surf with a boat lift for about 3 million less than my Royal Harbor one house, but I think everybody has to make their own decision regarding that town. Small town living after three years just wasn't for me and my wife. I don't mind visiting there, but I would never live there full time again ever.

But I don't look down on people that love that town.

teazle writes:

in response to 1wildman:

13 posts by you on this one topic.

Get a life Loser.

Quietcat writes:

in response to 1wildman:

Been here 20 years and never had the problems you describe with code enforcement or opening/operating a business. I don't have kids so the schools here aren't a problem for me, yet when I lived up north I paid HUGE school taxes and got nothing for it. Termites are all over the country as are illegals and old people.Guns are frowned upon by many 'educated' northerners (liberals) who would rather be killed in a home invasion that have a gun for protection. Guns are so "red-neck, you know". I know, I lived amongst such people a good part of my life.
I'm glad you're happy where you live now. I would never move back to the Northeast for the reasons outlined above. To each his own.
P.S. Watch out for those deer ticks, Lyme disease is quite serious.

lilme writes:

This article is so questionable that I wonder what it cost.

DonkeyWhispererakaDuh_novan writes:

Nothing wrong with Naples/Golden Gate

ChancelorKitty writes:

Collier County, not just Naples used to be a very nice place to live. After Hurricane Andrew that all changed. Every Latino or Islander from the East Coast got scared and came west across the alley for safety. Now they have brought with them that East Coast Miami-Dade/Broward attitude and it has become a place I no longer want to live.

I'm not complaining, I'm stating a fact. As soon as I can retire, it will be north of here where they still speak English. It is after all the AMERICAN language.

Oh, and yes I'll be sure to take the American Flag with me. The only ones I see flying around here are all foreign!!!!

Only-Real writes:

in response to 1wildman:

wonderful (Inactive) writes:

in response to malcolmlandry:

Is this where you comment on the michelle obama trip?

How did you find out about this? It is supposed to be a secret? sevice.

Just gotta end! Hurry November!

Only-Real writes:

in response to 1wildman:

At least when you leave our ratios of a-holes will go down!

Only-Real writes:

in response to 1wildman:

That's so weird, the only people that I hear complain about police and FBI making their lives hell are LOSER CRIMINALS!

You have proved my point above thank you! Good luck in Labelle, or wherever you are moving to!

lilme writes:

Curious...why did they disable comments about Michelle Obama's visit???

Ghostrider19 writes:

in response to Only-Real:

Actually there is said about the amount of police in Naples, it was always a gripe I had, and I am no means a criminal, so by comparing:

Orange County (Orlando not including Orlando PD) 1,000 sq. miles 1,000,000 people and employs 2,400 at 180m a year, so say 1,700 deputies for arguement sake. Thats roughly one deputy for 571.00 people.

Collier (not including Naples PD) is 2,000 sq. miles 328,000 people (which are mostly concentrated)and employs 1,386 at 141m a year, so say 980 deputies for arguement sake. Thats roughly one deputy for 334.00 people.

Further if you take out the over 65 crowd, that's 26.4 (census)or 85,000 people that leaves 243,000 for deputies that is now 247 people per deputy. So yeah the guy has a point like it or not.

lilme writes:

in response to lilme:

Curious...why did they disable comments about Michelle Obama's visit???

Hellooo...NDN, care to comment?

wonderful (Inactive) writes:

in response to lilme:

Curious...why did they disable comments about Michelle Obama's visit???

Something about they were supposed to have hot dog for dinner and they didn't want PETA to picket!

FIFI! come home!

Badge676 writes:

Naples in the winter, Durango the rest of the year.