Trayvon Martin case: George Zimmerman released from jail

— In a low-key event, George Zimmerman was released from a Florida jail on $150,000 bail as he awaits his second-degree murder trial in the fatal shooting of unarmed teen Trayvon Martin.

The neighborhood watch volunteer was wearing a brown jacket and blue jeans and carrying a paper bag as he walked out of the jail around midnight Sunday. He was following another man and didn't look over at photographers gathered outside. The two then got into a white BMW car and drove away.

No questions were shouted at Zimmerman from members of the news media at the scene, and he gave no statement.

His ultimate destination is being kept secret for his safety and it could be outside Florida.

As with the July 2011 release of Casey Anthony, the Florida woman acquitted of murder in the death of her young daughter, Zimmerman was released around midnight. But the similarities end there. Anthony was quickly whisked away by deputy sheriffs armed with rifles as angry protesters jeered her. While news helicopters briefly tracked her SUV through Orlando before she slipped from public view, there was no such pursuit of Zimmerman, who will have to return for trial.

Circuit Judge Kenneth Lester said at a hearing Friday that Zimmerman cannot have any guns and must observe a 7 p.m.-to-6 a.m. curfew. Zimmerman also surrendered his passport.

Zimmerman had to put up 10 percent, or $15,000, to make bail. His father had indicated he might take out a second mortgage.

Zimmerman worked at a mortgage risk-management company at the time of the shooting and his wife is in nursing school. A website was set up to collect donations for Zimmerman's defense fund. It is unclear how much has been raised.

Bail is not unheard of in second-degree murder cases, and legal experts had predicted it would be granted for Zimmerman because of his ties to the community, because he turned himself in after he was charged last week, and because he has never been convicted of a serious crime.

Prosecutors had asked for $1 million bail, citing two previous scrapes Zimmerman had with the law, neither of which resulted in charges. In 2005, he had to take anger management courses after he was accused of attacking an undercover officer who was trying to arrest Zimmerman's friend. In another incident, a girlfriend accused him of attacking her.

Zimmerman, 28, fatally shot Martin, 17, during an altercation on Feb. 26 inside the gated community where Zimmerman lived. Martin was unarmed and was walking back to the home of his father's fiancée when Zimmerman saw him, called 911 and began following him. A fight broke out — investigators say it is unknown who started it.

Zimmerman says Martin, who was visiting from Miami, attacked him. Zimmerman says he shot Martin in self-defense, citing Florida's "stand your ground" law, which gives broad legal protection to anyone who says they used deadly force because they feared death or great bodily harm.

Zimmerman was not charged for over six weeks, sparking national protests led by Martin's parents, civil rights groups and the Revs. Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton. Martin was black; Zimmerman's father is white and his mother is from Peru.

Earlier Sunday, Zimmerman's attorney was working to secure the money for bail and a safe place for Zimmerman to stay. But residents in Sanford, where Martin was killed, didn't expect a ruckus once Zimmerman was released.

City commissioners said they hadn't received calls from nervous residents. Protesters didn't show up outside the jail. And talk at one local coffee shop seldom focused on the case.

"It's just kind of a non-issue now," said Michele Church, a server at Mel's Family Diner. "That's pretty much all anybody in Sanford wanted, was an arrest, so it could be sorted out in the court system."

On Friday, a Florida judge agreed to let Zimmerman out on $150,000 bail. Defense attorney Mark O'Mara has said there are several options for where Zimmerman should go, but would not disclose any of them. Lester on Friday indicated Zimmerman would be allowed to leave the state if arrangements with law enforcement could be made for him to be monitored.

He was fitted with an electronic device when he was released Sunday, according to a statement from the Seminole County Sheriff's Office.

About a half-dozen photographers and cameramen camped outside the Sanford jail Sunday, focused on the door marked "Bonds Rooms," where other people who had been arrested and released on bail exited. Zimmerman had entered the jail about a week earlier after more than a month of nationwide protests calling for his arrest.

"The mood in Sanford has calmed down tremendously," said Sanford Commissioner Patty Mahany, whose district includes the neighborhood where Martin was killed. "I think now that people are able to see the justice system taking place, even though they understand it's going to be quite slow, people are willing to just remain calm and really we're all getting back to our daily routines."

A spokeswoman for the Seminole County Sheriff's Office declined to release any information about whether they were increasing patrols or security.

Defense attorneys for other high-profile clients who awaited trial on bail have said Zimmerman should leave Florida and refrain from going out in public. Sanford residents say they aren't expecting to see him around the neighborhood anytime soon.

"They've already said they're going to move him to a safe place," Church said. "Everyone has calmed down. That's all anyone in Sanford wanted, an arrest."

Meanwhile, Martin's parents published a "Card of Thanks" in The Miami Herald obituary page Sunday. The note says Sybrina Fulton and Tracy Martin express their appreciation for all the public's support since their son's death. The notice includes a photograph of Trayvon Martin dressed in a hooded sweatshirt, similar to one he was wearing the evening he was killed.

"Words will never express how your love, support and prayers lifted our spirits and continue to give us the strength to march on," the letter says.

___

Associated Press photographer Brian Blanco in Sanford, Fla., contributed to this report.

Related Topics

Ruger writes:

I wonder if the Black Panthers are giving Zimmerman the 10K for turning himself in?

The Sentinel also reported that the group "called for the mobilization of 10,000 black men to capture Zimmerman."

william42 writes:

Holy Skittles!

Chester writes:

Someone puts a bounty on someones life in America and the the incompetent, Attorney General Eric Holder does nothing! Unbelievable!

adirondacks writes:

Shouldn't have been released !!!

Max_Headroom writes:

Thanks to the Black Panthers, (so called Rev.) Sharpton, and other racists out there, Zimmerman won't get a fair trial in the state of Florida.

arrestallillegals writes:

agree with chester. the black panthers, being a known organization putting a bounty of someones life is wrong.I think they should be investigated and shut down. they are no different than the italian mafia. just not as productive,smart,or effective. they really dont make their own people look good. and that is what they are supposed to be doing right? standing up for their people. but a black organization putting a bounty ona white persons life isnt a racial hate crime. but shooting a black kid in self defense is? come on get real people!

malcolmlandry writes:

I am glad little Jorge has been set free. Thank god the little guy had a gun. Otherwise, he wouldn't stand a chance against the giant thug that attacked him.

harmony951 writes:

My dream....new bloggers writing in that are thoughtful and thought-provoking while respectful in tone. Veiled threats, misogynistic remarks, and biased name-calling neither impresses nor convinces readers.

lemonjello writes:

10,000? Sounds like an ACORN voter registration drive...

NaplesTaco writes:

This is in the courts hands now. Stop with the bigotry, please. I mean you want to remain the 9th nicest small town in the USA. And that is the entire USA not only the area that holds xenophobic jerks.

arrestallillegals writes:

@gop whistleblower. dont you have some music festival to get to with the rest of the hippie liberals. so put your hemp flip flops on and get walking. i heard dave matthews band will be there.

NaplesTaco writes:

with a name like arrestallillegals i am sure you are a very deep thinker.

Ruger writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

Nothing new here ET, you make no sense and are spinning lies.

Why would a self-identified Hispanic and registered Democrat work for anybody but Obama??

Zimmerman's state voter registration document shows that the 28-year-old registered as a Democrat in Seminole County, Fla., in 2002. Zimmerman apparently went on to identify himself as a Hispanic American, according to the document, which was released Tuesday

Ruger writes:

in response to NaplesTaco:

The only "bigotry" here seems to be coming from Eric Holder who has refused to charge the Black Panthers because it demeans "His People"!

Eric Holder: Black Panther case focus demeans 'my people'

harmony951 writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

Sigh...I regretfully concede that you are correct. It is refreshing to see your posts defending other views. I lived in Chicago my last two years before retiring, and was thrilled to vote there...lived on Randolph facing Grant Park. My husband and I live here full-time. He was a union employee with the Postal Service, and I was an executive with an aerospace company. We have the same opinions politically. The GOP policies have brought this country to the crisis stage it is in now. They have masterfully convinced people to vote against their own individual interests. They have decimated union voices in order to destroy pensions, health benefits, and fair wages. They have exported jobs and technology decimating manufacturing in thus country. They phony up moral issues only at presidential election time...then do nothing (thankfully) about them when in the majority. They make a straw image of Ptesident Obama, and attack it. They do not even know who he is or his policies...they only know the falsifications from Fox "News." But I am determined to stay in Naples, and not be intimidated by the xenophobia. It is a beautiful place, and I love it. Plus, I know there are hordes of like-minded people preparing to move here soon. It just might turn red to blue!

Ruger writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

Ted Nugent put a bounty on someone's head?? Where?

Did you know Obama ate a dog? It was probably a puppy!

lemonjello writes:

in response to harmony951:

Unions? LOL! Check off really worked out for you lemmings..... "Help me, help me. I can't speak for myself, I need help." Unions were needed back in the 80's. Their usefullness is long passed....

Max_Headroom writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

Oh come on Elephantitus, are you going to increase your average of 22 posts today?

Step away from the loaned computer, go outside and GET A JOB!

adirondacks writes:

Just Great !

adirondacks writes:

Great !!!

wonderful (Inactive) writes:

Just the first step to justice, eh?

Let's see if everyone can handle it!

harmony951 writes:

in response to lemonjello:

Lemonjello...my spouse and I came from poir families. We worked hard. Why are you afraid of two voices in a democracy? Labor and management...checks and balances.

Is the lemon for sour as in sourpuss or sour grapes?

stonnerjohnnyII writes:

HOLY SH#%! Don't go outside. Zimmermans's out and no one's safe.

desperado writes:

Don't think this was a good thing todo .....

Ruger writes:

in response to GOPWhistleblower:

Nugent has nothing to do with this ET, do you have anything but empty rhetoric??

Here is the NYT calling out the lies and deception that you won't..

The only thing NBC didn’t do was correct the report on the “Today” show.

What is it with television news and corrections? When the rest of the journalism world gets something wrong, they generally correct themselves....

Here is how NBC edited the clip of Mr. Zimmerman, who is now charged with second-degree murder in the Trayvon Martin case:

“This guy looks like he’s up to no good. ... he looks black.”

Here is what Mr. Zimmerman actually said:

“This guy looks like he’s up to no good. Or he’s on drugs or something. It’s raining and he’s just walking around, looking about.” The dispatcher then asks, “O.K., and this guy — is he white, black or Hispanic?” Mr. Zimmerman pauses and replies, “He looks black.”

martinm_1 writes:

in response to Ruger:

they will pay in food stamps.

Ruger writes:

in response to lemonjello:

Agreed, they were made obsolete by Federal Laws protecting workers. They basically only exist these days to funnel $$ the the democrats. That should explain why the radical left on this site defends them making more $$ than those in private industry.

taxed_to_the_max writes:

any date for the trial been mentioned?

JunkYardDog_1 (Inactive) writes:

in response to martinm_1:

they will pay in food stamps.

LMAO!!!

lemonjello writes:

in response to harmony951:

Is the lemon for sour as in sourpuss or sour grapes?

You should be proud of what you accomplished. Your union didn't do your work, you did. Why pay them for it? Sour grapes? No, I spent a great deal of my life busting unions and allowing hard working individuals to keep ALL of their hard earned money.

There are currently 313,417,214 voices in America and each one needs to be heard. Not just the Union rhetoric.

lemonjello writes:

in response to ISPEAKFORGOD:

Wow....Rats, Snakes and Scabs? Hmmm... Should we go into what Union members are currently called?......Unemployed.

In 1983, the first year for which comparable union data areavailable, the union membership rate was 20.1 percent and today it is 11.8%....

Now tell what is so great about being in a Union? In the US, the 1st Amendement allows you freedom of speech. (Unless Pelosi gets her way) Why do you need someone to speak for you? I mean you speak for God and all?

lemonjello writes:

in response to ISPEAKFORGOD:

Yes, I am and YES I did! Retired early after taking down many a Union thug, whose only job was protecting lazy worthless punks.

What did your union do for the guys who worked hard? NOTHING! They made the same as the idiots like you who did little to support the end result. How is that fair? Some guys work hard and some don't and all make the same amount? I guess I should have shared my grades with the moron who never came to class and failed, right?

Red_Tide writes:

Go Jorge!!!

harmony951 writes:

in response to lemonjello:

Sour Grapes or Lemongoo or whatever,

As an executive I learned to listen to union members who often had legtimate grievances, who took pride in what they do, and who often had great ideas for process efficiencies that we implemented. I dealt with several unions in our company from skilled manufacturing personnel to unionized aerospace engineers. The unions did not speak without consensus of membership. We mutually benefitted in open discussions.
I am appalled that you boast openly of busting unions since that is intrinsically illegal. Perhaos if you would have been more respectful of unions and their members, you could have had a symbiotic relationship with them instead of an adversarial one.
As for higher pay than the private sector, it is simply not true for federal employees like my spouse. Compare the GS schedules. Further federal unions like letter carriers have no power to strike.
We are proud of our accomplishments, and for the opportunities we had. We want the same opportunities for the next generation.

SNOWBlRD27 (Inactive) writes:

We need more Zimmerman's! He deserves a medal...

hunting46555 writes:

its really great no matter how i look at it...

Ironbutterfly writes:

in response to harmony951:

So now that the libs have screwed up Chicago they'll make a mass exodus to a red state to screw us up too?
What's going to happen when Chicago can't pay your union pension? Go on the dole sucking Florida's government resources, the Chicago way.
I have lots of Chicago friends who's minds haven't been corrupted by the liberal group think, they're moving here when they retire because they appreciate a redstate and wouldn't "Change" a thing now that they see the difference in quality of life.
You're a minority here lib, we know a real phoney when we see one, they're the ones always trying to "Change" something good into the rat hole they screwed up.

Ironbutterfly writes:

in response to harmony951:

Sour Grapes or Lemongoo or whatever,

We all know what a "$$$$ymbiotic" relationship means to liberal exectutive union lovers from Chicago, you scratch my back etc. etc. Union busting illegal? Since when did illegal anything stop the Machine?
Why don't you take your "opportunities" back to Chicago's next generation, they could use them to finish off the place.

lemonjello writes:

in response to harmony951:

Sour Grapes or Lemongoo or whatever,

Harmoney or Libhack or whatever,

Symbiotic Relationship with a Union? Now that is funny. There is NOTHING illegal about telling employees the WHOLE truth about unions and check-off. They made their own decisions to not support the Unionization of their locations. I just made sure they had all the facts and to not be bullied into it.

Who said anything about higher pay? I made sure they kept ALL their money instead of giving it to the Union.

personalj writes:

in response to harmony951:

Boeing sucks, go back to Chicago.

harmony951 writes:

To all of you telling me to go back to Chicago....let me remind you this is America. I can live here as long as I want, and you cannot make me leave. Nor can you deny me the right to vote as I choose. So quit the bullying and trying to intimidate....I am staying right here where I have the absolute right to be. Are going to shoot people who disagree with you? Are you going to pass laws to keep others from moving here?