David Moulton: Joe Paterno's statue should already be down at Penn State

David Moulton

David Moulton

Should Joe Paterno's statue at Penn State be removed?

See the results »

View previous polls »

Former FBI director Louis Freeh released his 267-page report documenting the sexual abuse that football coach Joe Paterno and three administrators at Penn State "failed to take any steps for 14 years to protect the children that Sandusky was victimizing," at 9 a.m. on Thursday.

Why is Paterno's statue still standing on the campus?

I know it's summer and there are very few students or faculty around these days, but how can you be a part of that school, and stomach the bronzed image of Joe Paterno? Go to the nearest Home Depot, get some sledgehammers and start knocking it down!

Who is going to stop you, campus security? I don't think so. Once you point out to the campus police that they were the same unit once directed by Gary Schultz (one of the others) not to investigate the child rape allegations, but now they are going to actively stop you from tearing down this statue? I believe even the squirrel patrol will see the irony and allow the destruction to continue.

For that matter, how come the Penn State Board of Trustees isn't doing it themselves? If you want to "move forward" and show your disgust, every one of you should have canceled your weekend plans, driven to State College and spent the weekend knocking the damn thing down!

Joe Paterno still has a statue at Penn State!

Come to think of it, the governor is a member of the Trustees board. Before that, he was the attorney general who did as little as humanly possible to even investigate the allegations! The least he could have done now is call up the nearest prison, bus in as many inmates as needed, and let them enjoy some outdoor time. He should have personally handed out the sledgehammers, had the outing catered while saying "Have at it boys!"

Don't just stop at the statue. Behind it is a wall which reads, Joe Paterno "Educator, Coach, Humanitarian." Paterno's motto was "Success with Honor."

Honor.

Humanitarian.

I don't want to say that maybe, just maybe, all of this is a little inappropriate since 9 a.m. on Thursday, but since that time, Nike wants nothing to do with Joe Paterno.

Nike. The same company that has been linked to child sweatshops around the world for decades, took Paterno's name off their Child Development Center immediately after the report was released Thursday. Nike has more outrage than Penn State.

In case any Penn State students, faculty, alumni or members of the Board of Trustees are paralyzed to inaction by the enormity of the tragedy, maybe a cold shower is needed to cut through the 267 pages. In a nutshell, children were groomed and raped by a coach in Paterno's program. He knew about it from the very first allegation, willfully looked the other way and later on helped to conceal, and then downplay the tragedy.

And Joe Paterno still has a statue celebrating him and what he stands for, outside the football stadium at Penn State.

Unbelievable.

David Moulton is a freelance writer who co-hosts, "Miller and Moulton in the Afternoon," weekdays from 2 to 7 p.m. on WWCN/AM 770 ESPN. His column appears Sunday, Wednesday and Friday.

ex31539er writes:

What I cannot stomach is Paterno's insistence on Sandusky's being treated humanely while simultaneously turning a blind eye to Sandusky's inhumanity to young boys.

stonnerjohnnyII writes:

What would Rick "Man on Dog" Santorum do?

Bigkondorsback (Inactive) writes:

I called Paterno out months ago on the NDN comment sections and was blasted. All everyone wanted to talk about was 46 years, the most wins, blah, blah, blah. Guess what, if you coach the same team for 46 years you should be way ahead of second place in wins. Where are you now Paterno fans?

Cody writes:

Must be a slow news day for you Moulton. Why don't you give this issue a rest. Paterno didn't commit the crime! He informed the University authorities. He had a major University football program to run. Hindsight is always 20/20. And I'm just sure all of you peole have never regretted something you did, or didn't do, in your past. BTW, I am not a Paterno or Penn State fan. But the way you all vilify him you'd think he was Jeffrey Dahmer or John Wayne Gacy.

airboatboy writes:

in response to Cody:

I bet you'd feel different if it was YOUR kid in the shower with Sandusky.

Cody writes:

in response to airboatboy:

I bet you'd feel different if it was YOUR kid in the shower with Sandusky.

Another idiot. My anger would be directed at Sandusky. You too are sooo perfect I suppose. Get a life.

airboatboy writes:

in response to Cody:

Hey moron, I'm not perfect, but at least I don't stick up for child molesters or anyone who covers up for them. Hell, you might be as sick as them, who knows.

Chester writes:

As a strong supporter of Joe Paterno I was on his side until the Freeh report came out. I can no longer support anyone who stood by and allowed an animal like Sandusky to molest children. Why the leadership at Penn State allowed this to happen boggles the mind. The statue must come down!

donsense writes:

DAVID MOULTON IS EXACTLY RIGHT!
THE PATERNO FAMILY NEEDS TO SHUT UP ALSO!!!

OP writes:

I would prefer the use of the word remove, not "down", in this story. There was too much going down already.

Remove Paterno's statue, and take his name off of everything. The man deserves to rot in hell.

trueamerican writes:

I really hate it when I have to agree with Molton.....

MisterK writes:

I think what happened up there was terrible. But, I don't quite understand the purpose of removing the statue. I'd like to know the opinion of the members of the injured party. That's the direction I'd go.

Here4Now writes:

in response to trueamerican:

I really hate it when I have to agree with Molton.....

That makes two of us ...

teachtrouble1 writes:

I want to disagree on this one David, but can not in good judegement disagree.....YOU ARE RIGHT! This is just so much to stomach and from a program developed by a man saying for years....look at us we are doing it right! This is just so crazy and I also agree with the blog saying the Paterno family simply needs to shut up at this point...........I do not want to hear, yes he was wrong in this but look at all the good he did...........this was bad enough to wipe out every bit of that good! and yrd prior to the report I was giving Paterno the benifit of the doubt no more and never agian!

swfl_ff writes:

I think this article says it all.

After reading that report there is no way anyone can support Old JoPa or any of the administrators at Penn State.

If there is ever a case for the NCAA to use the death penalty this it. And yes, the statue has to come down. Sad really. For all the good JoPa did this mess will end up being his legacy.

IcamefromNY writes:

Judge Not Lest You be Judged.

greathornedlizard writes:

I don't have a solid opinion about Paterno but apparently Howard Fineman has looked at Penn State as a college and found it entirely second rate.

beetlejuice writes:

Send football players to PRIVATE school with PRIVATE semi public FUNDS backing football program? Can anyone expect more from scummy coach?
$1,831.1 billion (as of June 30, 2011) in endowment and similar funds.[15] The university's research expenditures exceeded $753 million for the 2009 fiscal year and was ranked 9th among U.S. universities in research income[16] by the National Science Foundation.
if funding goes..what will happen?
Who knows?
They shoved scum coach under rug
Statue will probably stay
it'll stay
sadly

Cody writes:

in response to airboatboy:

Typing with one hand you moron. Go chum the gators for your tourists.

Cody writes:

in response to OP:

another idiot

Cody writes:

in response to trueamerican:

I really hate it when I have to agree with Molton.....

you don't. the guy's a clown.

Cody writes:

in response to teachtrouble1:

so, now you know exactly everything that Paterno did in this case. really? i doubt it....i really hope you r not a teacher...

joeblow writes:

Should change the schools name to "Molester State"...

trueamerican writes:

in response to Cody:

you don't. the guy's a clown.

You know it seems that all of your post were entered after midnight. So my question to you is do you even know Moulton? I know his radio co-host better, but at least I've met him at a few hockey games, and have actually talked to him, long enough to have an opinion that's not clouded by alcohol. So, @cody, maybe you should with hold your rebuttal comments until your thinking clearly...

Here4Now writes:

This never woulda happened at Pitt!

airboatboy writes:

in response to Cody:

Typing with one hand you moron. Go chum the gators for your tourists.

You really have a thing about sticking up for child molesters, don't you? Go get help, you perv.

Murphys_Law writes:

I say you can leave the statue up....only if you make it anatomically correct, and then relocate it to Sugden Park.

ex31539er writes:

Cody just doesn't get it.

Penn State can leave the statue up if the Codys of this world get their way.

The only reason Penn State is not now a laughingstock is Paterno's turning his head as boys were raped is no laughing matter.

Leave up Paterno's statue and Penn State and its statue will become a laughingstock over time as the shock of these devastating revelations pass.

airboatboy writes:

in response to Cody:

Hey Cody, would it make you happy if they changed their name to "Pennetration State"?

naplesnative73 writes:

in response to MisterK:

No crimes is worsen then the crime against children especially sexual molested. Its terrible experience will eat up the child a little bit a day and every day for the rest of his or her life until the day he/she die or explode it into some terrible thing beyond their control. It is like a slow dead sentence.

The wound is too deep, no need to remind every one about this terrible incident for next 100 years. The status must go.

teachtrouble1 writes:

in response to Cody:

If you want to insult me that is perfectly fine, I just really hope you do not have children and are never around them. We must have our eyes out for perverts! get it!

my-opinion writes:

Shouldn't those in the cover up be arrested too? For goodness sake fire them all. I hope the victims of this awful crime and cover up get billions of dollars in Civil court!

ex31539er writes:

in response to my-opinion:

Two of the four were, in fact, arrested. One died (Paterno). The grand jury continues its pdeliberations, so look to see Spanier (PSU's former president) charged shortly.

OP writes:

in response to Cody:

another idiot

Does that mean you disagree, or does it mean you are just a mule looking in his own mirror?

Either way, work on your ability to raise the level of discourse.

seasiderichard writes:

in response to naplesnative73:

You are right - remove the Sandusky statue!

Thanks to the author of this article for advocating violence and breaking the law! Wonderful.

pittraul writes:

Melt the staute of Paterno and make a new one to the victims of child abuse. Penn State should donate the football programs anaual budget to pay for the new staute and going forward a portion of football revnues should be donated to advance child abuse awareness.
Anything less is a true crime.