Doubters don't think Romney and Obama have economic answers

PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) — Separated at rival conferences by 1,000 miles and a world of political ideology, liberal and conservative activists are finding themselves united by a deep disappointment with the nation's economy.

Some of the most passionate voters from both parties suggest that neither presidential candidate has sufficiently sharpened his economic message or clearly outlined a plan to get the nation back on track. Democrats criticize President Barack Obama's willingness to fight for liberal priorities, while conservatives wonder aloud about presumptive Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney's conviction to act aggressively on their behalf.

It's a reminder five months before Election Day that Obama and Romney have work to do on the most fundamental issue in the presidential contest.

"Right now I'd like to see more from both candidates," said Zack Zarr, a banker from suburban Chicago who was among several hundred gathered Friday at the Conservative Political Action Conference in Chicago.

Democrats at NetRoots Nation in Providence said the economy hasn't recovered quickly enough under Obama, an opinion shared by the Republicans in Chicago.

"If you ask somebody about the economy and they tell you anything except that they are frustrated or disappointed, then they're lying to you," said Arshad Hasan, executive director of the liberal group Democracy for America, which was founded by former Vermont Gov. Howard Dean. "But the tea party and progressives have a different interpretation of the source of the frustration."

Indeed, the political activists clashed over the proper prescriptions and cause of the weak economic climate, a reflection of the battle lines already drawn by Obama and Romney as they fight for the presidency.

Democrats at NetRoots, like Obama himself, support new investments in infrastructure, education and clean energy backed by higher taxes on wealthy Americans. They blame steadfast Republican opposition in Congress and the economic crisis that began under President George W. Bush.

Most Republicans, like Romney, lay the blame squarely on Obama's shoulders. Romney argues for deep spending reductions, tax cuts and an expansion of the energy sector.

A May Washington Post/ABC News poll found registered voters equally divided on whom they trust better to handle the economy. In that poll, 49 percent said they believe Bush is more responsible for the country's current economic problems compared with 34 percent who blame Obama.

The nation's employers last month added the fewest jobs in a year, stoking fears of a global economic slowdown as Europe's struggles escalate. It was the third consecutive month of weak job growth. Hiring, housing, consumer spending and manufacturing all appear to be improving, yet remain less than healthy.

Obama addressed economic concerns directly on Friday, declaring at a White House news conference that "the private sector is doing fine." That prompted instant criticism from Republicans, who said it showed a lack of understanding of the nation's economic woes.

"Is he really that out of touch?" Romney charged while campaigning in Iowa.

Clarifying his remarks later in the day, the president said it was "absolutely clear that the economy is not doing fine." While there had been some "good momentum" in the private sector, he said public sector growth lagged behind, making it imperative that Congress act on his proposals to boost state and local government jobs.

"I cannot give you a good reason why Congress would not act on these items other than politics," Obama said after being asked to respond to the Republican criticism.

The liberals at NetRoots largely agree with the president's assessment. But several Democrats interviewed said Obama should be fighting harder for liberal priorities such as tax hikes on the wealthy and another stimulus package. The president's latest jobs plan has been stalled in Congress for several months.

"This is about the president and Congress. There is a Republican Congress that has no interest in ensuring that the lives of black folks are improved in this country," said Rashad Robinson, executive director of the Color of Change, a liberal group that promotes African-American political influence. "We still have a job crisis in the black community."

Jeff Santos, a Massachusetts-based liberal talk radio host, said that the 2009 stimulus package "wasn't big enough."

In Romney's case, some conservatives crave more specifics of his cure for a wobbly economy.

Jenny Beth Martin, co-founder and national coordinator of the Tea Party Patriots, wants Romney to be bold and upfront about how he'll attack the nation's debt and budget problems. And she says Romney shouldn't assume he'll be heir to the tea party energy that propelled Republicans in the 2010 elections.

During the primary season, Romney's Republican rivals frequently questioned his resolve to dismantle a national health care law that had similarities to one he enacted as Massachusetts governor. Sensitive to such criticism, Romney often stresses plans to enact an executive order to allow states to opt out of the Obama health law.

Related Topics

Related Links

sunburnt writes:

We already know obama doesn't have economic answers, hes got no answers for anything, except for where he's been, and the answer to that is always on vacation.

Fire him

John_Galt writes:

If you think there's a dime's worth of difference between Willard and Mr. Kenya, you're nuts. They are both corporatists - shills for the Federal Reserve Cartel and in the pockets of the big wall street banks and corporations. If you think catering our government to the big corporations will save America, then you are just as ignorant as the Obama supporter that thinks Obama is still anti-war. It's called delusion!

Watch this video - in their own words, issue by issue, Romney = Obama.

wentfishn writes:

in response to sunburnt:

Fire him

Yup, did anyone expect anything differant to come out of the Chicago Corruption Machine?

beerbong writes:

They are both blowing millions of dollars to put out election year BS. And from what I read here some think one is better than the other. What are the real answers? Anybody out there really trust either one of them??? Both are damaged goods.

milo writes:

OBAMA --FOUR MORE YEARS. MITT "DUBYA JR." ROMNEY HAS NO CHANCE, AND THE COUNTRY WONT SURVIVE ANOTHER GOP LOSER FOLLOWING THE BUSHS, REAGANS, AND NIXONS EXPERIENCES.

itmattershere writes:

I don't think either party has the answer. It has come to straight line voting period. This country really needs a overhaul, and not just the President. The majority of people in this country know what it is going to take, it's just the Politicians in this country our doing what they want to do, not what the people want. Also the Capitalistic economy is eating away the Governments of Democracy of the Republic. Until our leaders in Government realize that they are to vote and pass what the people want in the majority, and not by the wallet, then their can be no change. Wake up.

DinNaples writes:

in response to itmattershere:

You are not alone. This is a major reason the Tea Party has been such a success with its influence.

Illusion writes:

in response to John_Galt:

Watch this video - in their own words, issue by issue, Romney = Obama.

Great video! It amazes me that people know that Romney is no better, but still think getting Obama out is important. Leave Obama in for another four years, perhaps by then people will wake up and decide that their liberty matters.

Chester writes:

Obumbles has proven "beyond a shadow of a doubt" he has no clue how to grow the economy. So, lets give Romney a shot and if he is as inept as Obumbles we can fire him! Obumbles must go!

trader9 (Inactive) writes:

They don't.

It's a function of what kind/quality of team they surround themselves with.

Also whether they think they are smarter than everyone else or make sound decisions based on input from smarter people.

Take for example...Simpson-Bowles.

wentfishn writes:

in response to SoldierStrong:

In the 60s and 70s Dr shockley said s----- people "TEND" to be bigger breeders than intelligent people. "If" this is true I see little hope for this Nation.

woods311 writes:

My fellow Americans:

As we approach the most important elections in our history,
consider the possibility of a different choice, than voting for the "lessor of two evils."

That choice is "I.L.A.C."

"I lack" confidence in the promises of these candidates, "none of the above".

It is time to quit expecting the "Problem" to solve the "Problem"

Democrats and Republicans, are two sides of the same dirty coin.
I believe that there is a super majority out there that can stop the insanity.

If a "super majority" vote "I.L.A.C." on any candidates, in any race, no matter their party affiliation.
It means , to quote a Trumpisim, "You are Fired.", or "TERM" limits.

Give us "I.L.A.C," a "Fair Tax", , and a "Fully Informed Jury."

"I.L.A.C." will help elect people, who will give us the other two, with the added bonus of "TERM LIMITS".

After all the occupations, and tea parties, the only poll that counts, is the vote in November.

Let the people go to the voting booth armed with the awareness of "I.L.A.C."

I would like to see "I.L.A.C." on every ballot in the country.

It is doable, simple, and inexpensive to put a place on our ballot, so that we can vote "none of the above", "I.L.A.C.".
It can be done prior to the November 2012 elections.
If the politicians or bureaucrats won't do it, write in," I.L.A.C."

"I.L.A.C." works within the system provided by our founding fathers, to change our government when needed, at the "The ballot box."

Thanks to the power of the internet the idea of "I.L.A.C.", can be spread about this different choice, and the corrupt, self serving politicians can't stop it.

I believe, that just the awareness that people are considering " I.L.A.C." will cause the politicians to be more careful when making campaign promises.
If not, we will keep sending them home until someone "GETS IT"

We are hiring people for the most important jobs in the world here.
.Thank you politician for spending all that money and supporting the economy. "NEXT".

A peaceful revolution is possible, local, state and federal, "I.L.A.C.",

If we keep doing what we have always been doing, we will keep getting what we have always been getting.

To the "Democratic Party" and the "Republican Party", the "party" is over.

Illusion writes:

in response to SoldierStrong:

You are adding to the problem. There is no lesser of two evils. If you want to send a message then vote a third party. Integrity does matter.

Beachglow writes:

Simple: Obama hasn't been able to do anything in four years even with a Democratic Senate. Time to step aside and see if Romney can. My guess is yes. Any action at this point is better than nothing, which would bespeak of Obama's policies and presidency. It's just time for him to leave office.

Bramble writes:

Tax cuts don't seem to do much after a certain point. Increasing government spending to stimulate seems to have a small effect, but balloons the national debt.

What's the answer? Is it just the cyclic nature of capitalism? Where do people get the money to buy stuff and start the economy rolling again? Or do they have money and just aren't spending it?

Watasha writes:

I just wonder what the fool will do come February.
I can see him and Oprah joining forces. Definately Hollywood.
I'd like to see him and Pee Wee Herman team up.
Black Superman? Maybe.. We're in for a treat regardless who harnesses this man's talent.

Trexler writes:

You can pretend M1, M2...macro, micro...bottom line is we need more customers..and without financing for the next 10 years, its going to be slow going...3 mil kids just got out of high school, whats next?

HAL9000 writes:

I choose to abstain from voting in the upcoming presidential election. However, if I should change my mind, I hope Ralph Nader is on the ballot. He's NASCAR's dream candidate: Unsafe at Any Speed.

newzhound (Inactive) writes:

Leaker in chief does have to his credit $800B spent on 'stimulus', the highest number of people on food stamps ever, 13 Million people without jobs they desparately need, record foreclosures, a still declining housing market, record numbers of people claiming disability, and a series of jokes in very poor taste.

swampbuggy writes:

in response to bandog:

Who left??? Kerry who served in Vietnam is still here. Edwards was so distraught he had to cheat on his wife. The Baldwins are all still here partying with Sean Penn. So who did leave?
My guess is according to Democrats anyone who got on a plane within 90 days of Kerry's defeat was counted as leaving. Do you have stats that prove me wrong?

sunburnt writes:

in response to milo:

Milo, stop. Put down the crack pipe and turn your caps off, your making a fool out of yourself

Illusion writes:

in response to SoldierStrong:

Here is my point though, they both support NDAA, the patriot act, and Cispa. Obama care = Romney care. They are both corporatist and Romney is even more of a globalist. All of them (Bush et al.) going a good distance back are directing this country towards a NWO.

I understand that Gary Johnson may not have a chance to win, but I would rather have my integrity than vote for either of those two clowns. In addition, while Romney was governor of MA, he increased every possible tax. I, also, recall reading that he is somehow involved financially with the TSA screening machines, which Romney also supports that scam of freedom robbing.

I would rather have this country totally tank by that corporatist Obama and get people really riled, but then again,maybe people will wake up by voting in Romney, and say this is insanity, we keep getting the same thing.

For me, I will hold true to Benjamin Franklin's quote: "Those who would give up Essential Liberty to purchase a little Temporary Safety,
deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."

The best thing for this country would be a megaton answer to Washington, D.C.

chriskh500 writes:

Reagan AND Clinton both did a much better job getting this country out of recessions!! No matter what party you support....it's obvious that Obama has failed and is clueless. All his "proposals" involve creating a bigger government.....support him if you believe in socialism I guess.

unfatcat writes:

Romney has a very in-depth plan for economic health, and that if he does what he promises, his plans will actually move us in the right direction.

Obama has no understanding of economy. He has no idea how many people do not have work in the U.S. or why that is the case. He has no idea how unimportant his miscellaneous-attention- getting rants are when we have serious other problems. His continual talk of giving breaks and money and loans, etc. every time he gives speeches to each perspective voting group is his defining economic achievement. Going for broke is his motto. Intelligent people (not by rich or poor) will not vote for Obama.

volochine writes:

Despite Americans who crave fast growth, the only way out of this mess is going to be slow. We manufacture very little, Wall Street raped 5 trillion in home equity in the last real estate bubble, and republicans want to eradicate the public sector jobs to minimum wage.

It took 10 years and a popular war to work ourselves out of the last depression. Why does anyone think it will happen in 4 years?

This takes work and productivity. Not politicians.

Bill Clinton left us with a balanced budget. I'll trust the democrats.

milo writes:

in response to SoldierStrong:

I never claimed that i was leavingthe country other than to do a second tour in Afghanistan. Bush a/k/a the moron "Dubya" was a puppet of Dick Cheney, and they made up a reason to start an unnecessary war which cost many live's and an expensive one so that cheney's buddies could line their pockets. The war was based on LIES. The two of them should have been tried for treason.

scubatenor writes:

in response to woods311:

My fellow Americans:

As we approach the most important elections in our history,

That choice is "I.L.A.C."

"I lack" confidence in the promises of these candidates, "none of the above".

It is time to quit expecting the "Problem" to solve the "Problem"

Democrats and Republicans, are two sides of the same dirty coin.
I believe that there is a super majority out there that can stop the insanity.

It means , to quote a Trumpisim, "You are Fired.", or "TERM" limits.

Give us "I.L.A.C," a "Fair Tax", , and a "Fully Informed Jury."

Let the people go to the voting booth armed with the awareness of "I.L.A.C."

I would like to see "I.L.A.C." on every ballot in the country.

It can be done prior to the November 2012 elections.
If the politicians or bureaucrats won't do it, write in," I.L.A.C."

If not, we will keep sending them home until someone "GETS IT"

We are hiring people for the most important jobs in the world here.

A peaceful revolution is possible, local, state and federal, "I.L.A.C.",

To the "Democratic Party" and the "Republican Party", the "party" is over.

We talk about a possible "third political party", yet we forget that the German Weimar Republic had up to forty differing parties, in which one was the NSDAP... the Nazi party.

I agree that the two-party system seems to have failed us, but according to history, other alternatives could become scary.

wentfishn writes:

in response to sunburnt:

Short people like to use caps.

wentfishn writes:

in response to wentfishn:

Short people like to use caps.

Some

woods311 writes:

in response to scubatenor:

"I.L.A.C." is not a third party, it is a different choice that says "I lack" confidence in the promises of these candidates, "none of the above".

"I.L.A.C." works within the two party system, and says to the "Democratic Party" and the "Republican Party", the "party" is over.

If not, we will keep sending them home until someone "GETS IT"

We are hiring people for the most important jobs in the world here.

Heraclitus writes:

Why can't we just check the box marked "None of the above"?

Oh... that's right... that's the Ron Paul box.

John_Galt writes:

in response to HAL9000:

Consider voting Gary Johnson, the Libertarian candidate. If he can get just 5% of the vote, the Libertarian Party will become America's first new major party in over 100 years! Americans will have a REAL choice at the ballot next time around.