1 killed, deputy hospitalized after traffic stop shooting on I-75

Video from NBC-2

One person was killed and a Lee County deputy was hospitalized after shots were fired during a vehicle stop in North Fort Myers on Thursday afternoon.

Officials pronounced the person dead at the scene but did not release a name or age. The deputy’s injuries weren’t life threatening, according to Sheriff’s Office spokesman Lt. Larry King.

The shooting started after a deputy on Interstate 75 stopped a vehicle around 4 p.m. north of the Bayshore Road exit, which is about two miles south of the Charlotte County line. “At some point, things turned violent,” and shots were fired, Sheriff Mike Scott said.

He did not say Thursday who fired the shots.

The Sheriff’s Office would not say how many people were in the vehicle or why it was stopped, but there was “no big pursuit or long, drawn-out kind of thing,” Scott said. Following the shooting, the other occupants of the vehicle were detained and questioned, he said.

Other deputies who were at the scene gave statements to investigators, Scott said. The sheriff said he did not believe there was a direct threat to other drivers at the time of the shooting.

“Any time guns are being discharged, people are in danger,” he said. “But to the motoring public, it looked like to me like the action was away from traffic.”

The shooting shut down northbound lanes of Interstate 75 at mile marker 148 for several hours as the Sheriff’s Office investigated. No further information was available Thursday.

EARLIER

At least one person is dead after a deputy-involved shooting that shut down an area of northbound I-75 near Bayshore Road Thursday evening, NBC-2 is reporting.

EARLIER

A Lee County deputy was shot Thursday afternoon after he pulled over a vehicle on Interstate 75 near North Fort Myers.

The deputy stopped the vehicle around 4 p.m. north of the Bayshore Road exit, about two miles south of the Charlotte County line.

Scott declined to comment specifically on the condition of the deputy but said he was “optimistic as far as his condition and recovering” and expected the deputy might be released late Thursday.

The Sheriff’s Office would not say how many people were in the vehicle or why it was stopped. There was “no big pursuit or long, drawn-out kind of thing,” Scott said.

The sheriff said some of the occupants were injured but made no further comment. Following the shooting, they had been detained and were being questioned.

As of 7:15 p.m., northbound lanes of Interstate 75 remained closed at mile marker 148. No further information was immediately available.

Related Topics

dizwiz21 writes:

what a s----- reason to inconvenience people trying to do their daily business.

I mean, is the suspect at large or something? I think not.

Mop it up, and let everyone else get on with their business.

Ohh. cuz im a cop, im gonna shut down the interstate because I can!

retdocman writes:

in response to dizwiz21:

what a s----- reason to inconvenience people trying to do their daily business.

I mean, is the suspect at large or something? I think not.

Mop it up, and let everyone else get on with their business.

Ohh. cuz im a cop, im gonna shut down the interstate because I can!

Just like you are able to add extra ketchup to burgers I guess right?

paradise52 writes:

in response to dizwiz21:

what a s----- reason to inconvenience people trying to do their daily business.

I mean, is the suspect at large or something? I think not.

Mop it up, and let everyone else get on with their business.

Ohh. cuz im a cop, im gonna shut down the interstate because I can!

This article is about nut jobs firing at cops and you are worried about traffic being slowed down on I75?? You need to get a clue there genius.

malcolmlandry writes:

676 writes:

Actually, he's the son of your wife and her boyfriend.

Bigkondorsback (Inactive) writes:

in response to OneTermThingamajig:

I feel sorry for you. Your whole day has been ruined by something out of your control. I mean, you even took the time to make up a new name.

Shaawe writes:

It will be interesting to find out what this was all about. http://www.news-press.com/article/201...

malcolmlandry writes:

The NDN staff deleted my previous comment because of their racism. I will restate the facts. Barack Hussain Obama said that Trayvon Martin looks like he could have been his son. I simply stated that I am 100% sure that the shooter in this incident also looks like Trayvon Martin and Barack Hussain Obama. Deleting this simple accounting of facts is a sad indicator of the partisan, racist attitudes present in the NDN staff. You should be ashamed of yourselves. Go to school and get an english degree instead of censoring valid public comments.

purple_prople_beater writes:

What do you expect in a police state? Cops sent out automatically scanning every license plate looking for trouble. Look long enough and thats exactly what you will find! The real question should be "who is watching the watchers?" Where is the accountability? Man was minding his business until, he was pulled over! Now he is dead!

unfatcat writes:

in response to dizwiz21:

what a s----- reason to inconvenience people trying to do their daily business.

I mean, is the suspect at large or something? I think not.

Mop it up, and let everyone else get on with their business.

Ohh. cuz im a cop, im gonna shut down the interstate because I can!

I am embarrassed for your comments and lack of concern for your fellow man.

elnuestros writes:

in response to malcolmlandry:

On days when I let my baser impulses take over, I imagine what you must look like. Maybe a cross between Roseann Barr and Larry the Cable Guy? It’s fun to guess about you and some of your buddies, but the column’s format hides your appearance as effectively as a sheet would. Oh, you wish, don’t you?

Also, English is capitalized.

bana writes:

Hoping that the decision was the right one.
Thank You, Officer Mutt Eraser.

mewillandale writes:

in response to paradise52:

I say let dizwiz21 drive through the hail storm of bullets so he is not inconvenienced at all.

tampacoco writes:

Thank you officer for protecting the decent folks here, Even if folks had to deal with traffic. It's a Thankless job you have and taking out some thug who couldnt obey the law and made his own death wish.

eagle1610 writes:

Police officers in harm's way - getting grief for traffic delays caused in the process...

Let's see officer wounded... traffic delay - I think we can tolerate that inconvenience in light of the seriousness of the situation.

livinginnaples writes:

Retdocman....TOOOOO FUNNY!!!!!!!

paradise52 writes:

in response to mewillandale:

Thank you for my morning laugh.... wish I had thought of that!!

Shaawe writes:

Curious.

Fox 4 interviewed Sheriff Mike Scott on scene.
FOX 4: "You say a deputy was in fact injured, correct?"
Sheriff: "that's correct, a deputy sheriff was injured as a result of a traffic job turned violent."
FOX 4: "You won't say how he was injured?"
Sheriff: "No. Just that he has been injured and transported to a local hospital right now to be further treated and hopefully checked out and eventually released."
FOX 4: "Are the injuries life threatening? Is he okay?"
Sheriff: "I would just say that he is being treated."

stonnerjohnnyII writes:

Everyone needs to buy guns to protect themselves from Cops and the Neighborhood Watch

Banker26 writes:

They shut down the interstate? What a joke. Our tax dollars at work. Another seat belt violation and a member of the public is dead. Oh well. Hope the dead guy had a weapon or the cop is going to prison.

wentfishn writes:

Ill be right back have to take a dizwiz.

paradise52 writes:

in response to Patriot_1:

Shots were fired and that is fact! Does it matter who fired them?? Traffic was stopped as it should have been and you are concerned who fired the shots??

Hmmm makes me wonder what article you read.

profiler writes:

Gestapo agents will be protected by other agents that routinely lie. The brotherhood of the nazi gestapo. Want to see how these vermin thugs steal from the citizens? Here is the truth that these thugs can't censor:
So..when one of these thugs get shot...remember the video..and how the "to protect and serve" is one of the biggest lies out of these dirtbag thugs mouths.
sig heil comrades...
amerika is a POS nazi police state

paradise52 writes:

in response to profiler:

sig heil comrades...
amerika is a POS nazi police state

No wonder this country is in the shape it is when people like you spew your nonsense and garbage. If it bothers you sooooo much then do us all a favor and leave!!

Ny_715 writes:

Hope the officer is okay.....once again it amazes me how self centered some people are. It worries me that some of you are able to read this entire article and only worry about TRAFFIC. Disgusting.......

MacGumbo writes:

in response to paradise52:

What I find amazing is no matter how much they hate this country they won't leaver but want to ruin it for rest of the decent citizens!

malcolmlandry writes:

in response to elnuestros:

Also, English is capitalized.

Why the racist comments. Accusing me of being a kkk member is racist and extreme. I have no problems with your love and worship of blacks.

I read about a crime and guessed the bad guy would look like barack hussain obama's son. You clearly think the bad guy is a white person in a business suit. We will soon find out who is right.
Do you want to put some money on it?

CarpeVeritas writes:

in response to malcolmlandry:

Do you want to put some money on it?

OK, let's start with what words mean. Racism is the belief that different characteristics in racial groups justify discrimination.

No one said because you are white, you are KKK and so need to suffer discrimination.

I agree with the point made: you are a white supremacist moron.

You give every impression of hating Obama because of his color. You infer outright that only a group of coloreds would be responsible for this.

To those who only sleep on bedsheets, you write that we have a "love and worship of blacks." That's just a sanitized version of "n----- lover."

Calling you a hate-filled KKK verbal terrorist has nothing to do with your ethnic heritage.

Perhaps your deleted comments were removed, not because your freedom to hate was abridged, but because they're just plain ignorant shinola.