Always sunny: Naples No. 2 happiest U.S. seaside town, magazine reports

Is Naples one of the "Happiest Seaside Towns" in the United States?

It is according to Coastal Living Magazine, which placed Naples as No. 2 on its list, behind Kiawah Island, S.C.

"Credit the romanticism of promoters in the late 1800s, who saw a town much like its Italian namesake, with abundant fishing, the temperate climate on the Gulf of Mexico, and a view that surpassed the Bay of Naples in its grandeur. This lively town lives up to its international reputation," said Coastal Living on its website.

The other towns on the list:

3. Sausalito, Calif.

4. Lake Bluff, Ill.

5. Tiburon, Calif.

6. Laguna Beach, Calif.

7. Half Moon Bay, Calif.

8. Chatham, Mass.

9. Jupiter, Fla.

10. Lahaina, Hawaii

11. Marblehead, Mass.

12. Stinson Beach, Calif.

13. Cohasset, Mass.

14. Duxbury, Mass.

15. Solomons Island, Md.

The list was compiled using a list of the magazine's Dream Towns over the last 15 years and Facebook recommendations. After that, editors used the rank on the Gallup-Healthways Well-Being Index, sunny days, beach quality, low crime, commute time, education of residents and other factors.

Coastal Living's "Happiest Seaside Towns" is featured in its June issue or on its website, www.coastalliving.com.

suntan writes:

Let the Posts start with how unhapply and all the other BS they don't like about Naples. All I have to say is....LEAVE.. if you don't like the area.

teazle writes:

It's the 2nd happiest seaside town, minus the usual 10 NDN posters who whine every day about their miserable lives.

Therealist writes:

The people within city limits don't exactly seem happy much of the time.

amuser writes:

I can see how they measure sunshine, but how can they tell if we're happy?

MrsRobles writes:

Yea rite, don't you see all the commenters on NDN. lol and all the road rage drivers.

Ruger writes:

in response to suntan:

I doubt many of them actually live here. They just wish they could and are hateful because they cannot be here.

Go Naples!

vanburen writes:

I assume this is for people over 65?

joeblow writes:

Who's "arse" did they kiss to get this printed up???!!?!?

upagain writes:

Happiest, must be the drugs.

light writes:

Naples is a happier place than Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Hurray.

lilme writes:

in response to Patriot_1:

Thank you....I was wondering how this happens.

Here4Now writes:

Ugh! Not again!

lilme writes:

This past Saturday, my husband took me out shopping in Naples. Our first stop was the Carillon Plaza in order to access Wells Fargo. I walked into Ross, and while walking around I noticed shoplifting. That was enough for me. I then just wanted to go home. My husband was upset, but I cannot handle what I see going on here. While it was not the first time, nor the 2nd, or 3rd time I have noticed this going on, trust me, this makes for an unpleasant experience. Secondly, has anyone noticed that you are treated as a 2nd class citizen when you pass through a checkout that has a cashier that is culturally challenged handling a culturally challenged citizen in front of you. My only thoughts are how does one think you could possibly sell real estate here anymore!

Beachglow writes:

in response to lilme:

Go to Waterside instead. You have choices.

Beachglow writes:

Compared to other towns/cities in this country, Naples is just fabulous. Sun, ocean, beautiful homes, great shopping and restaurants. So much to do from tennis to golf to biking to fishing to boating to music and art almost 12 months out of the year. I can't imagine living anyplace else. People here don't realize how fortunate they are.

cabagepalm writes:

Don't tell the management about the shoplifting. Some one might end up in jail. It's not my problem.

np writes:

Agree with Beachglow's take on Naples. It's the Best Place in the World to be. We are indeed fortunate to be here.

marcari writes:

I'm here, I have been here since before I was sixty five, and I love it. SB, politics has nothing to do with it; you would not be happy unless there were no conservatives.

Naplesishome writes:

in response to marcari:

Marcari - I must strongly disagree. Were there no more conservatives there would also be no one from which to redistribute wealth. Imagine a town entirely populated with people trying to extract coin from somebody else, but with no underlying commerce. Oh, wait a minute, that's not too hard to imagine, it's our President's blueprint for America.

sunburnt writes:

in response to lilme:

"While it was not the first time, nor the 2nd, or 3rd time I have noticed this going"

Maybe you should become a security guard or go to a better place to shop, just sayin

drolds writes:

Second? What the hail is going on here? I ain't taken second. I'm going to take a drive up to Kiawah Island and have me some (FUN) (if you know what I mean). Any one with me?

drolds writes:

in response to lilme:

With all due respect, maybe the answer is to confront the shoplifter or if that would be too unpleasant, at least let it be made known to management.

mr_1_term_proposition writes:

in response to lilme:

wonderful (Inactive) writes:

in response to light:

Naples is a happier place than Mister Rogers' Neighborhood. Hurray.

I know most are looking forward to the FAMU band parade to take US to convention in NC, if they don't kick them out!

Oh my, little doggie!

YEHAW!

amyashby writes:

Yeah Naples!!! Great article!! Good news!! Stay shopping, I'm going to be at the beach!!

Harvel writes:

in response to lilme:

Then you should move!!

joeblow writes:

You move!

double_d writes:

Whitedragon...

Here4Now writes:

Yep, dumb and happy, we learns 'em good down here.

tampacoco writes:

in response to lilme:

I hate to tell you this , But this happens in every City , This just doesn't happen here in Naples. I love it here and 99 percent of the time people are very nice down here. Every place had different cultures to deal with and many challenges also.

Colorado (Inactive) writes:

in response to Ruger:

Go Naples!

Now that's a joke to laugh at.

Ghostrider19 writes:

in response to suntan:

I did.

AlphaOne writes:

in response to lilme:

Thank you for waiting to say anything about the shoplifter until you got home to your computer...you just helped the problem to continue. Here is an idea: tell the manager. Also, if you want to really help society, call the police and the shoplifter will get a free ride to jail. http://www.colliersheriff.org/index.a...

Captian_Cataracts writes:

We're so friggin happy we need plastic surgery to get the smiles off our faces.

We're so happy we're whistling Zippidy Doo Dah out our butt holes.

Happy Happy Joy Joy! YOU don't look happy enough, here's another happy pill. Happy happy Joy Joy.

Take two every morning & wash it down with a half pint of gin.

amuser writes:

Wasn't there an article about Naples being one of the highest in the nation for alcohol use? Maybe that is why we're so happy.

Captian_Cataracts writes:

Naples is the bomb man!

Beautiful beaches, lots of interesting places to scuba, sailfish, surf & boat fish, lots of marine life, practically ne'kid oiled up baes everywhere, laid back COPS in the toursit areas but always on guard for the dirty deed doers.

Plenty of local Flrodia artistry (althoough post seasonis the time to score big on that).

Resturants of every flavor price & motif, eager shopkeepers, and wkend nights hot babes all wearing their tiarias & newly tucked thighs & boobs trolling 5th So. for Dentist.

The parking is fine. It's not worth spending massive amts of money to accomodate a few extra cars when when the short walk from available parking will do the fat farts some good.

When I vacation I stay here or go to the theme parks, or both. Yeah we have to put up with three months of rude NY & NJ condo commandos but they return to their rat infested burroughs & leave all their money here.

And now they're gone. I had lunch at a fairly hot spot today, walked in prime time, no seating problems, no service problems & good food, better then in season cause they know the locals are out now.

if you're lucky enough to live here year round be gratefull. You could be living somewhere disgusting, awful, rat infested & full of criminals...like Wash DC.

Adonis writes:

Despite all the negative comments about Naples. It is still a great town. You will appreciate Naples whenever you go visit another town or city. There is no city without crimes and many other issues...
But overall, Naples is a great place to be. I have lived in so many other cities in the US and around the world. Naples is one of the best places that I ever lived in...
Go Naples...

bananas8187 writes:

in response to Beachglow:

Hate to burst a couple of your bubbles, beachy, but the ocean is 125 miles from here, most of the beautiful homes are architectural boob-jobs, and the restaurants, with one or two exceptions, are decidedly NOT great, unless you're from Ohio or Indiana.

But it is better than most places, for sure.

brighteyes writes:

My husband and I moved here 25 years ago from Fort Lauderdale where we grew up to raise our children in a better environment. Every time we went back across the Alley to visit our parents, I was so thankful we didn't live there anymore. In hindsight, I wish we had just moved out of Florida altogether and to a town that was more middle class America. When my sons turned 16 and were able to drive, many of their classmates at Naples High got Mercedes or BMWs as their first cars. I remember after Christmas one year I spoke with a classmate of my son's and asked her what she got for Christmas. She started to cry and asked what she had done so wrong that Santa Clause would give the other students such great gifts and she got so little. Her mother was a single mother that strived to just put food on the table. I did not have an answer for her. I still love living in Naples but there is still such disparity between the have and have nots.

wes writes:

Since the list is one third Californian, it seems bankruptcy and extreme debt make for "Fabulous" happy places.

Face book recommendations were a factor for this list so most likely the results are warped due to some marketing consultant's internet tactics.

HarryNuts writes:

I agree that we have the best beaches around.
Beautiful water, nice soft sand...now if we could only cater to the UNDER 65 CROWD THAT ISN'T ALREADY RETIRED AND DRUNK ALL DAY.

Naples could be better, but they choose to keep it boring so the old farts like BEachglow don't get their Depends in a bunch.

I would go to the beach even more if there weren't just leathery wrinkles to look at...

lemonjello writes:

in response to firedragon:

If you hate it here, then leave. Seeing that you are up at 4:41am to blog, means you have no life anyway.

plsgagme writes:

in response to AlphaOne:

yeah, right... tell the "police". My daughter and I were at Ross (exactly the same description: culturally challenged citized ringing up another c.c.citizen). We saw the buyer getting ready to leave w/ a shirt and belt that STILL HAD THE TAGS ON THEM)> We told the sec. guard (aka moron) and he told us he couldn't stop her because she was leaving the store and he wasn't allowed to chase her down...... We stood there stunned as she slowly walked out into the parking lot. By the time we wouldve called the police, she wouldve been long gone. And the clerks and sec. guard acted like we were nuts for telling them......WTF is all I can say

jvic47 writes:

in response to firedragon:

You are totally naive if you think these social problems don't exist where your going.I suspect you couldn't make it here is the real reason for leaving.Hundreds of thousands come here each year because they love it.I'm afraid the only Sad Sack here is You. Adios!