Judge considering restraining order against man who disrupts weddings with rap music

As Alex Garcia and Mary DiFede, center, exchange vows, Alex’s brother, José Garcia, right, looks in the direction of the Gulf Shore Drive home of Lloyd Bowein, who blasted rap music toward the wedding.  Bowein has an ongoing dispute with LaPlaya over, ironically, noise.

Photo courtesy of Mary and Alex Garcia

As Alex Garcia and Mary DiFede, center, exchange vows, Alex’s brother, José Garcia, right, looks in the direction of the Gulf Shore Drive home of Lloyd Bowein, who blasted rap music toward the wedding. Bowein has an ongoing dispute with LaPlaya over, ironically, noise.

Lloyd Bowein

Lloyd Bowein

A Collier judge indicated Friday she was leaning toward granting La Playa Beach & Golf Resort a temporary injunction to prevent a neighbor from blasting loud music during weddings and other events.

Circuit Judge Lauren Brodie said she’d rule within two weeks, but gave the attorney for neighbor Lloyd Bowein until Friday to submit court rulings that support his argument that he also should be able to restrain La Playa from disrupting his peace and quiet on Gulf Shore Drive.

“I believe most of the elements have been met,” Brodie said of four factors, including whether La Playa would suffer irreparable harm if she didn’t grant an order before trial and whether it would likely win its lawsuit.

Temporary restraining orders are difficult to obtain, except in cases of violence.

The Daily News published a story about the case in June after La Playa sued Bowein on May 29. The resort alleges he played loud, offensive rap music to disrupt weddings and other events, causing brides to burst into tears and the hotel to lose at least $200,000 in business.

The lawsuit listed eight events from 2011 to May 23, saying restraining orders, cease-and-desist letters, meetings and free Champagne didn’t stop Bowein, a lawyer and owner of Randy’s Fishmarket Restaurant.

Bowein countersued in July, alleging La Playa’s “annoying, offensive music” and amplified pep rallies meant he couldn’t enjoy his Vanderbilt Beach home. La Playa no longer uses amplifiers.

“I’m not doing anything to weddings,” Bowein said, noting that he only turned up his music to hear it over La Playa’s. “I’m playing music in my backyard for my personal enjoyment.”

After the judge’s remarks, Bowein offered La Playa a compromise: Move weddings 150 feet away from the property line and he’d stop. La Playa’s attorney said no.

During the nearly three hour hearing, employees testified the Daily News article caused a loss of local wedding and event business, but when a similar article was published in the New York Daily News, people called from New York, where much of La Playa’s business comes from. Many wanted assurances it wouldn’t happen to them, but others said they wouldn’t book there.

Resort employees described angry, crying brides, restraining guests from confronting Bowein, paying off-duty deputies $400 hourly for security and patrol boats and screaming fathers who demanded refunds after ruined weddings.

“I said, ‘What you did to that bride was despicable,’ ” vice president and general manager Ron Vuy testified, referring to an August 2011 wedding, when Bowein blasted rap music. Vuy added that Bowein said he’d stop in return for a hotel membership. “I said, ‘That’s not going to happen.’ ”

Employees testified Bowein wore loud, obnoxious clothes and positioned himself in a chair behind the wedding arch. The hotel’s lawyer showed photos. When employees used a row of beach umbrellas to block him, they said he moved into view.

Bowein’s former business partner, Randy Essig, who operated Randy’s Fishmarket, testified Bowein often bragged about ruining weddings.

“I’ll get a membership out of it before I’m done,” Essig said Bowein told restaurant employees, adding that Bowein wanted La Playa to pay $10 million to buy his $3.64 million beachfront home.

Bowein denied purposely playing rap music or retaliating by increasing the volume, saying he was just exercising his property rights.

“I feel I’m doing the same thing on my property as they’re doing on their property,” he said. “They’re retaliating against me.”

Robertofnaples writes:

I have a great idea for La Playa, I'm certain it will solve their problem. Donate this property to be used for Military weddings. I will gladly attend, and "He" will not disrupt these weddings. Try disrupting a Marines wedding Jerk!!! I still refuse to eat at Randy's Fish Market. I in fact recommend know body does, until this jerk stops his stuff.

canman8888 writes:

A case of 1st Amendment Rights: both parties are entitled to play music on private property.

MisterK writes:

Lloyd Boweiner. You've put your issues on display. It's rather unbecoming. LaPlaya is a beautiful place in a beautiful beach neighborhood. There certainly must be a more appropriate way of addressing noise issues with your neighbor. if it were leaf blowers, then I'm with you. But, disrupting a wedding is immature and disrespectful. I'm not a fan of your restaurant, either.

swfljim writes:

For God's sake, Boweiner needs to grow-up and if he can't stand the La Playa for a neighbor, sell his property. Home prices have increased significantly in the past couple of years and there are plenty of other beachfront homes for sale. However, I sure wouldn't want to be his neighbor-I'm sure wherever he lives there will be problems. Ditto on the avoiding Randy's Fish Market.

swamp999 writes:

I see this idiots point. He's upset at LaPlaya playing obnixious wedding music with amplifiers and tons of guests making lots of noise. If I owned his property I'd be plenty angry myself. Then there's LaPlaya's viewpoint. They want to make money doing weddings. They say they are going to great lengths to curb their noise but are they really? It's very hard to tell a wedding party to pipe down. The solution is obvious. LaPlaya has plenty of beach front property, so they need to move their weddings down the beach so that this moron isn't being harrassed weekend after weekend by weddings and all their noise. As for the idiot, he needs to assure LaPlaya that he will stop if they move the wedding down the beach. Case Closed. I don't like lawyers bending the law to suit them. That's why I call him an idiot. Or is he a genius?

bomann12 writes:

what comes around go's around.'nuf said

ford46 writes:

LaPlaya Hotel and their beach weddings have been around for quite a few years. I'd be interested in knowing when Bowein bought his property.

SigSauer writes:

He succeeded in driving Randy away from his own restaurant, and is applying the same tactics to La Playa. He will eventually drive away his customers as well. I’m sure this will end well…..

zurich writes:

Both of you -"just turn the volume down " Very annoying going into a lounge ,and have the entertainment music blasting so loud it's impossible to have a table conversation .If management refuses to acknowledge our request ,to turn it down ,we leave . Some musicians think their music is better loud ,but you can't mask lousy music .

sledhead writes:

I have been spreading the work about this jerk to everyone I know. None will eat at his restaurant ever again, he changed the famous pie recipe anyway, it is terrible.

avbatista writes:

A grand wedding ball is usually a once-in-a-lifetime event for the bride and groom and both of their families. It is a treasured event, and it is a great (and expensive) milestone in the life of a bride.

I can only imagine how tragic it must feel to see and hear some crusty, old, cynical lawyer blasting rap music at these weddings, purely out of maliciousness! What kind of mind could be so evil?

The fact that there are people who have so much malice in their hearts, and lack of courtesy and education, is a sad commentary on Mr. Bowein's character.

Let's thank Mr. Bowein for lowering the standards of civil conduct to equal the notorious levels of the Bronx, East Cleveland, Detroit, or East Los Angeles.

Count this is an EPIC FAIL on the part of Mr. Bowein, as a human being, and member of the community.

praetorian writes:

This guy doesn't care about the noise.He just wants to extort a membership out of the club.Count me as an ex patron of Randy's!

GratefulDem65 (Inactive) writes:

We stopped eating at Randys when I found a dead cockroach on the underside of a plate.

After reading this, I am not surprised.

No1Uno writes:

in response to GratefulDem65:

After reading this, I am not surprised.

Yeah, a cockroach named Lloyd. It must have been a very big plate.

GUNNER36 writes:

I read the story of Randys departure and was saddened.After reading the first story about Lloyd and La Playa My family and friends agreed this guy is a weasel and we have and will continue to boycott Randys. A lawyer extorshinest I wouldn't want him as attorney either,look what he did to Randy

toesinthesand writes:

If you don't like noise don't buy property near a commercial property. As an attorney he should work in a civilized manner to compromise. How would he feel if loud, obnoxious people drove business away from his restaurant? There's a thought.

eagle1610 writes:

in response to canman8888:

Duh!!! But it doesn't mean you have to be a jerk.

Can't make any laws to prohibit that kind of activity. Stupidity is legal.

DinNaples writes:

in response to zurich:

I'll bet that place is quite empty without you there. Those are our choices, don't like it. go elsewhere.