Read related story
NAPLES — It was the lot to watch.
Less than a minute after auctioneer Humphrey Butler opened bidding on the Ferrari F12berlinetta, the smokin' hot car sold.
Bob Scott, a Naples Winter Wine Festival trustee, purchased the car — and all the goodies that go along with it – for $750,000. The bid, the highest of the night, helped the annual wine festival raise an estimated $8.5 million for children's charities supported by the Naples Children & Education Foundation.
"It's an incredible automobile and it's a chance to … support a good cause," he said.
Scott said he had his eye on the lot from the beginning. Bidding was fast and furious, and within seconds of opening the bid, the sum skyrocketed to $500,000. Scott won moments later.
Scott and his wife, Karen, were swarmed by friends and well-wishers. It didn't take long before auction patrons were asking Scott an important question: Can I borrow it?
Outside the tent, while the Scotts celebrated, auction patrons and automobile aficionados swooned over the vehicle and the missed opportunity.
Scott may have been itching to take the Ferrari for a spin, but it will be a few days before Neapolitans see him cruising the streets. Scott said the car on display was a European model and not U.S. road-ready.
He said he plans to chat with Ferrari officials Monday about when he can get his own little red, speed machine.
2013 NAPLES WINTER WINE FESTIVAL
- Photos: 2013 Naples Winter Wine Festival auction
- Photos: Winter Wine Festival - Edwards Residence
- Photos: Wine festival lot room
- Photos: NCEF Meet the Kids Day 2013
- Photos: Ferrari F12berlinetta delivered to Naples for Winter Wine Festival Auction
- Photos: Charity - Now I see Hope
- Video: Winners of Lot 4 at Wine Festival auction
- Video: Before start of Wine Festival auction
- Video: Preview of Wine Festival auction lots
- Video: Ferrari to be auctioned at Wine Festival
- Naples Winter Wine Festival raises $8.5 million for Collier children's charities
- Wine Festival trustee sees red Ferrari in his future
- Live Blog: Naples Winter Wine Festival Auction
- Charities of the Wine Festival: Event showcases kids' needs to festival-goers
- Naples Wine Festival: Good food, good wine for a good cause
- Charities of the Wine Festival: Deciding which nonprofits get grants is tough call
- Charities of the Wine Festival: H.U.G.S. provides mental health screenings, counseling to local students
- Charities of the Wine Festival: New Operation Strides helps veterans heal with horses
- Winter Wine Festival: STAR program focuses on preschool-aged children with behavior problems
- Charities of the Wine Festival: Children's mental health a focus in 2013
- Gramercy's Anthony heads Naples Winter Wine Festival star chef corps
PAST COVERAGE: NAPLES WINTER WINE FESTIVAL
- 2013: Get complete coverage
- 2012: Get complete coverage
- 2011: Get complete coverage
- 2010: Get complete coverage
- 2009: Get complete coverage
- 2008: Get complete coverage
- 2007: Get complete coverage
- 2006: Get complete coverage
- 2005: Get complete coverage
- 2004: Get complete coverage
- 2003: Get complete coverage
- 2002: Get complete coverage
- 2001: Get complete coverage
- SPECIAL SECTION: Find videos, photos and stories about past Naples Winter Wine Festivals »