A landscaper died Monday after he was electrocuted while working outside a home in Naples.
The owner of a home on the 5100 block of Seahorse Avenue told detectives he saw a Hogan Landscape crew working on his neighbor’s house and asked the men if he could pay them to cut branches away from some power lines on his property.
Witnesses later reported hearing a loud popping noise and seeing one of the workers, 41-year-old Juan Martinez, slumped in a tree. Martinez’s cousin, who was head of the yard crew, told Naples police that Juan Martinez had been cutting the branches when his pole saw touched the wires.
When first responders from the Naples Fire Department arrived at the home, Martinez had no pulse and had gone into cardiac arrest, according to Fire Chief Steven McInerny. Martinez also had burns on his left hand and inner thighs.
McInerny said Martinez was taken to NCH Downtown Naples Hospital, where he was later pronounced dead.
Personnel at Hogan Landscape declined to comment when reached by phone Tuesday.