Bicyclist severely injured Wednesday in crash on Crayton Road

A routine group ride down Crayton Road turned dangerous Wednesday morning when one cyclist was hit by a pickup, sending him to the hospital with a concussion, broken bones and a punctured lung.

Doctors expect it will take 10 weeks for Chuck Kelly to recover from the crash, according to his wife, Tish Kelly.

“It was an awful scene,” she said. “His son thought he was dead.”

The crash happened around 8:30 a.m. as the group of about 25 or 30 riders headed north on Crayton Road. Andy Robinson, who was toward the back of the group, said the cyclists were in the left turn lane to turn onto Harbour Drive when a white pickup passed them, crossing double yellow lines and driving through the light toward oncoming traffic.

“Chuck turned left as the truck was barreling down the road, without reducing speed whatsoever,” said Robinson, of the Naples Velo bicycle club.

The truck seemed as if it was going to leave the scene until a few cyclists caught up to the driver, according to Robinson. Meanwhile, Kelly lay unconscious in the roadway.

“He was lifeless,” Robinson said. “It was a very difficult thing to see and observe.”

Several members of the group provided similar accounts of the crash. Lt. John Barkley, a spokesman for the Naples Police Department, said the official crash report had not been completed Wednesday.

The crash shook up several members of the local bicycle community, including Patrick Ruff, president of the Naples Pathways Coalition.

“This is just bananas, you know. A guy can’t go riding down Crayton Road without getting run over,” Ruff said. “We’re in a bicycle-friendly town, and we all need to look out for each other.”

Tish Kelly said she hoped the crash would at least remind drivers to be aware of bicyclists and respectful of laws about sharing the road.

“We’re skimmed all the time and hit by side-view mirrors,” she said. “There’s a three-foot rule, and that’s the biggest thing I’d like to run home.”

© 2014 Naples Daily News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

pritchard2020 writes:

Thats rediculous! On crayon? Post the name of the driver. 3 ft from any cyclist. Take his license. Feel better chuck. I'm so sorry this happened. Chuck is the nicest cyclist. Very respectful.

lwm writes:

Wishing Mr. Kelly a speedy recovery, but Naples driver's need to be educated in the bike law's, such as the 3 foot rule. Naples is not a bike friendly town, yet...

BonitaTango writes:

I would never ride a bike on a city street around here. I barely feel safe in an oversize pickup.

HenryChinaski writes:

Anyone who thinks Naples is a "biker friendly town" is crazy. Look at who is behind the wheel sharing the road with you:

Naples is #6 per capita in alcohol consumption in USA.

Naples/Collier has highest concentration of drivers over 100 years old of anywhere in USA.

Prescription medication is typically the rule for those older drivers not the exception.

Three martinis with a side of valium is a favorite lunch in season.

I've seen so many crazy things and so many bikers and cars hit over the years you couldn't pay me to put my life in jeopardy riding on the road with those people.

Ill stick to the multi use path (bike path- sidewalk) where there are no cars.

lf_photo writes:

Name of driver please. Ticketed? Arrested?

davisjad writes:

Bike riders and especially group riders are totally out of place on major streets and highways. The best advice is to STAY OFF MAJOR STREETS! Even then you are not totally safe - bikes were not made to compete (or share the roads) with cars and trucks.

titanbite writes:

I don't even drive myself in this town, let alone climb onto a bicycle and compete with the type of driver one typically see's on Naples roads.

When we pull up to a stop at an intersection with bicycler's waiting for the light to change, I slide down the window and ask, "suicidal?".

They usually laugh, while I'm dead serious!

Rainman11 writes:

I deliver all over this town, and some of the bike riders are suicidal in my opinion.

3 ft rule, some of you say, but so many of you ride right right on the line, you should have to stay at least a foot off the line yourselves.

That would be being a little courteous yourselves.

I hope you have a speedy recovery, and watch out for old people, and people that or working for a living.

BonitaTango writes:

in response to Rainman11:

That would be being a little courteous yourselves.

So right you are!
Large groups biking together clog roads and behave with a mob empowerment. For everyone's protection: 3 or more bikers riding together should be required to get a permit like every other kind of parade!

Commonsenseisdead writes:

Rainman, you need to look at what Naples calls a "bike lane"; all they did was paint a line 2' from the curb.(if there is a bike lane at all) At least 1 foot of that is the rain gulley where all the trash accumulates. Those cyclists pay taxes just like you and technically can use the car lane and in many instances that is the only space available to use!

anicou writes:

One of my best friends was killed in New York State bicycling on a country road.
He was hit by a van driven by a drunk woman and his helmet didn't save his life. He died from a head contusion.
To bicycle in this town which has so many seniors and confused drivers on the road, I would give an advice to these bicycle lovers.
Just have a bicycle inside of your home in front of your windows, watch the trees and the birds and enjoy your favorite exercise in a safe environment for everyone including the car drivers.
Just a thought!

Hycarol4 writes:

Poor choice of road for 30 bikers to take over in my opinion. Sometimes bikers sense of entitlement amazes me.

gcop writes:

I walk Crayton Road almost daily and both cars and bike riders need to obey the rules of the road. Car divers, slow down! Bike riders, stop means stop, not just slow down!
What about registration and numbers for bikes, that way repeat offenders can be reported and ticketed the same as cars.
With mutual respect there is room for all on the roadways. Hope this gentleman recovers fully and is back on his bike soon.

Feel_the_Love writes:

There are the laws of the road and then there are the laws of physics and common sense.

It's a shame so many cyclists have to be injured and killed before the lesson is learned that these streets are a death trap. Vehicle vs bicycle you will lose every time.

Yes, the law is on your side but is being in the right worth being crippled or killed? For the love of all that is good, it's dangerous enough in cars so please stay off the road. I'm going to stick to the sidewalks and astronomically increase my chances of survival.

I hope the latest victim makes a full recovery.

Heraclitus writes:

There are ani on both sides of this equation. No excuse for hitting a biker with a truck. I, like others above, am curious why yhere is so much information on the victim and none on the perp?

If the CCSO ever wants to set up a sting all they have to do is have one of their guys bicycle down Orange Blossom and have a thin wire 3 ft long extended from the bike into the lane and see how often it gets scraped. They can make some money.

Bed Bath and Beyond... Emerson Helmet Cams... $39.. some good reviews and some bad, but very inexpensive. Your survivors will thank you.

MasonDixon writes:

in response to Feel_the_Love:

I hope the latest victim makes a full recovery.

There are plenty of dead people who had the right-of-way.

CeceliaRose writes:

I hope the bicyclist makes a speedy recovery! However, some bikers do NOT obey the rules of the road. There is one group in particular that bikes quite often in the Naples Park/Pelican Bay area. When they come to a stop sign, the lead biker of the group will point his arm forward, indicating the others in the group to go straight through and not stop at the sign. I have observed this happening more than once. I believe the road should be safely shared by both cars and bikers and they all, not just the car driver, need to obey the rules.

HenryChinaski writes:

in response to Heraclitus:

I often ride down Orange Blossom. I use the bike path that runs parallel to the road and is separated from the road by a strip of grass for most of the ride. Why would anyone force the issue and ride with the cars when there is a car free bike path that runs parallel to the road?

Upwiththebirds writes:

Every time I see a bicyclist on the road, I think of all the people texting and talking on their phones, young inexperienced drivers, the speeders, and the older people who might not see as well anymore, and wonder how they have the courage to do it.

BonitaTango writes:

in response to Upwiththebirds:

My thoughts exactly!
However... "courage" wouldn't be my word choice.

jdzaks#269138 writes:

Feel better soon Chuck.

MisterK writes:

The best we can do is pray for Chuck's recovery, hope justice will be served on the driver, encourage mutual respect between riders and drivers on a legally shared roadway and ask for a higher conscious of humanity as we interact, especially in the congestion of seasonal Naples. I do hope we see an expansion of bicycle only paved trails in the area. It is unfortunate that the primary design of this beautiful city is for motor vehicle mobility.

erock writes:

Go pound sand, all of you bike negatrons. The whining gets so tiresome. Get a life and leave the bikers alone.

DogFolks writes:

Definition of NEGATRON
: electron

The same can be said for you bikers, quit complaining and obey the rules of the road!

I also hope for a fast recovery of the gentleman.

Rainman11 writes:

in response to Commonsenseisdead:

You might want to have your eyes checked, the bike lane on that this accident happened on is about four feet wide, then couple that with bike riders riding abreast, puts one of you on the line or on into the road way. Its your life, risk it if you like.

Heraclitus writes:

in response to HenryChinaski:

Henry... how fast are you going... 20... 25... 30?

I ride that road too. I stay in the road on my road bike and only do the sidewalk on my mountain bike. If you're doing anything above 15 on your road bike, you're safer on the road because of the ramps and peds on the sidewalk.

And... when is someone from DOT going to do something about that horrendous bike crossing into the Pine Ridge subdivision at the west end of Orange Blossom? (See photos posted on Google Earth)

lilme writes:

in response to lf_photo:

Name of driver please. Ticketed? Arrested?

"Seconded"

oldshoe writes:

Very sad. Perhaps bike riders might want to observe stop sign rules and traffic light rules and there might be less accidents. Not that those rules were broken in this unfortunate accident.

bevhara#279724 writes:

It's really too bad someone is in such a hurry they hit someone and attempt to leave the scene or are they so clueless they didn't know they hit the bicyclist?? The drivers in this area are NOTHING less than AWFUL! I wonder about the intelligence behind the wheel.... or am I giving then too much credit for any intelligence? How do they get a driver's license?? They change lanes without a signal - okay that's everyday but today most of the electronic signs on #75 said it's a FL state law to have your lights on in the rain. Do they morons get it??? No, maybe not or do they think the sign is for everyone else - not for themn?? I watched so many go under the sign and never put they're lights on. I saw a trooper doing the same. So, I guess the average dope, I mean driver, figures at best if the cops don't follow the law, then why should they.... this scares me. EACH and EVERY time I drive somewhere(esp. this time of year) I see way too many cretans on the road as dumb and clueless as ever. No wonder there are so many accidents - vehicular deaths and pedestrians and bikers injures.
Sometime I feel as though the backwards hills of some deadbeat state or area are all collecting here.

myrealname writes:

I ride a bike all around Naples quite often and I do this odd thing to stay safe, I WATCH OUT FOR CARS AND TRUCKS THAT MIGHT HIT ME!
I.....avoid.... THEM!

I don't put myself in a position of depending on a vehicle driver to value MY life.

Its really a simple strategy, always assume the vehicle drivers are trying to run you over and the object of the game is for you to avoid them and get to your destination in one piece.

You can play your game or you can play theirs. You will eventually lose if you play theirs so...

shwing writes:

You can get a dui on a bike, it is considered a vehicle. Therefore you must stop at stop signs and not ride on sidewalks if there is a bike lane available.
Bikers who ride in packs should stay on main roads because when they whiz through residential neighborhoods they are usually speeding and not stopping for any stop signs.
I hope the injured man gets well soon, but the article doesn't state which vehicle was at fault.
So my opinion is: Bikers, stop pretending you are training for the Olympics, you are not. You are a bunch of rude middle age nobodies.
The only ones I have respect for are the lone wolf bikers who are putting in serious miles on the main roads, and I always see them using the bike lanes and stopping with traffic at red lights.
Car drivers- use caution.

HenryChinaski writes:

in response to Heraclitus:

Henry... how fast are you going... 20... 25... 30?

When you bike you have to adjust your speed according to the terain. It's not rational to force a square peg into a round hole. Orange blossom is not a road for speed or for getting your heart rate up, the conditions are too cramped and the road has heavy traffic. If your goal is your heart rate then chose an area to ride that can accommodate the speed you would like to go.

When I want to get my heart rate up I use Livingston as biking with speed for exercise makes sense with the conditions that exist on Livingston, a long stretch of road with a practically unused detached bike path separated from traffic by a strip of grass. It's ideal for exercise.

The death roulette aka biking with Naples drivers on the roads of Naples should be avoided at all costs.

donsense writes:

How about all the cars with handicap placards hanging for the rear view mirror? It clearly states on the placard DO NOT DISPLAY WHILE CAR IN MOTION. it is bad enough many have diminished driving skills but they also block their own view with the placard.

orangeade writes:

Riding a bike on a road with vehicular traffic puts the bike rider in a potential accident with a motor vehicle. What is so hard about this to understand? When I used to ride a bike I did it in a park and drove in my car to and from the park. When I lived in a city there were bike paths that didn't interfere with vehicular traffic.
Cars and bikes don't belong together and the bad attitudes of both the drivers and riders only make things worse. Unless you need a bike to get to work, stay off the road. Or don't complain if you get hurt. Sorry!

anicou writes:

in response to orangeade:

Great post! I agree 100%. One of my good friend was killed in a s----- bicycle accident years ago and I still miss him.
When I drive and see these cyclists being so arrogant thinking they own the road it makes me wonder how irresponsible they are.
You are certainly right when you said cars and bikes don't belong together.

anicou writes:

BTW, I drive on Crayton Road everyday and can't believe how many bikers are so irresponsible.
This road is very narrow and not really safe for cars and bikers.

PMC_Rider writes:

in response to anicou:

This road is very narrow and not really safe for cars and bikers.

You are such an idiot. It's infuriating.

The law states that cyclists can take the lane. That is their right. To make a legal safe pass, cars must wait until there is no oncoming traffic, and they must leave 3ft of clearance around the cyclist(s).

That's the law, you jackwagon. Read it. Obey it.

This truck driver thought his schedule was more important that the lives of 30 cyclists. And you called the cyclists "entitled." Truly remarkable, how far up your rear your head resides.

That group of cyclists (I have ridden with them before) typically averages 25mph+ on that stretch of Crayton -- also known as THE SPEED LIMIT.

There is absolutely no excuse for what this driver did, and yet you blame the victim because you identify with the self-important sociopath behind the wheel. I'm not surprised.

I commute via bike on Gulf Shore and Crayton all the time. I ride a red Felt with green bar tape. Please -- force a confrontation with me, anicou. I'm begging you.

flahill writes:

in response to shwing:

Car drivers- use caution.

Well stated. Pain and suffering could be avoided by all parties with more caution. I only wish law enforcement would enforce the traffic laws, which includes bikers. The brave bikers who insist on riding on a narrow two lane road without a bike lane are idiots indeed.

So_Right writes:

in response to Rainman11:

That would be being a little courteous yourselves.

Couldn't agree more, especially in Naples Park/Vanderbilt Beach where I used to live.

So_Right writes:

in response to Hycarol4:

I would argue it's less "sometimes" and more the rule rather than the exception

Pitoq writes:

in response to HenryChinaski:

Naples is #6 per capita in alcohol consumption in USA.

Three martinis with a side of valium is a favorite lunch in season.

Ill stick to the multi use path (bike path- sidewalk) where there are no cars.

Wow Henry, After reading your rant, it seems you have already had your three martinis-or more.

Heraclitus writes:

Some provisions of the Law:

316.083 Overtaking and passing a vehicle.—The following rules shall govern the overtaking and passing of vehicles proceeding in the same direction, subject to those limitations, exceptions, and special rules hereinafter stated:
(1) The driver of a vehicle overtaking another vehicle proceeding in the same direction shall give an appropriate signal as provided for in s. 316.156, shall pass to the left thereof at a safe distance, and shall not again drive to the right side of the roadway until safely clear of the overtaken vehicle. The driver of a vehicle overtaking a bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle must pass the bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle at a safe distance of not less than 3 feet between the vehicle and the bicycle or other nonmotorized vehicle.

316.151 Required position and method of turning at intersections.—
A person riding a bicycle and intending to turn left in accordance with this section is entitled to the full use of the lane from which the turn may legally be made.

316.2065 Bicycle regulations.—
(1) Every person propelling a vehicle by human power has all of the rights and all of the duties applicable to the driver of any other vehicle under this chapter, except as to special regulations in this chapter, and except as to provisions of this chapter which by their nature can have no application.

HenryChinaski writes:

in response to PMC_Rider:

You are such an idiot. It's infuriating.

That's the law, you jackwagon. Read it. Obey it.

Its legal to swim with 20 ft long great white sharks but that doesn't mean its a good idea. And for you to jump in the water and shout at the sharks that you have the legal right to be there wont help you when the inevitable happens.

For any person to say that they are going to force the outside world to conform to their workout so they can get their heart rate to a certain point is ludicrous. Im all for getting exercise but choose to do it in an area that is suitable for that activity.

Not all roads are the same. Put some thought into what roads are suitable for what activities.

Riding on Crayton rd is a very bad spot and creates constant traffic hazards. One of the worst roads in Naples to ride a bike.

HenryChinaski writes:

in response to Pitoq:

Are you unaware of Naples's unique demographics?

More pill popping booze swilling geriatrics on our roads than anywhere else. Makes for a town not suited for sharing the road. Best to ride where there are no cars.

DinNaples writes:

in response to PMC_Rider:

You are such an idiot. It's infuriating.

That's the law, you jackwagon. Read it. Obey it.

There's nothing more self-important than a mob on bikes exceeding the speed limits, running stop signs and stoplights and just requiring everyone to get the heck out of their way!

I slow down for them, I just about stop. I have to! I'm afraid I'm going to run them over. They remind me of Rodney Dangerfield coming in to dock his boat.

anicou writes:

in response to PMC_Rider:

You are such an idiot. It's infuriating.

That's the law, you jackwagon. Read it. Obey it.

No need for name calling PMC_Rider. I didn't mean to offend you.
I lost a very close friend who was killed when bicycling and since that time when I have to drive on a busy road like Crayton with bikers who do not always conform to the code I become concerned.
I want to make sure to avoid them and at the same time to avoid a collision with a car coming from the opposite side.
I am going to give you the name of this friend and you could go to google and see with your own eyes what I am talking about.
His name is Camille Savoy from New York City.
You could see a picture of him and his bike.
Again, no need for insults.
Maybe, anger management would be something for you to consider.

orangeade writes:

in response to PMC_Rider:

You are such an idiot. It's infuriating.

That's the law, you jackwagon. Read it. Obey it.

I also drive on Crayton on a regular basis and many of the people who ride their bikes on that road can't seem to stay in the bike lane.
They weave all over the road, and contrary to your assertion they are most certainly NOT going at the same speed as the vehicular traffic.
Do you know how infuriating it is to have to go 15-20 mph instead of the legal 30 all the way from Seagate to Parkshore because the self-important bike rider wants to get in their hour of cardio? Bikes are not cars, therefore they should stay in the BIKE lane and not weave into traffic. I swear some of these people either have a death wish or are trying to cause a confrontation with a driver.
If you want to ride your bike in traffic knock yourself out but don't be shocked when you get hurt. It's common sense.

bobblehead writes:

As a long time biker on Crayton and other surrounding roads, I find that even the safest bikers are at risk with many automobile drivers. Bikers do go through stop signs when there isn't traffic flow, and maybe that should stop, but there is little excuse for the number of people that pass a bike rider so close that you can touch the car.

I can't tell you how scarry it is to have a big automobile suddenly appear next to you from behind. You are riding 20 MPH and concentrating on your ride not expecting to have a car almost touch you.

So, is naples really biker friendly? Probably not or we wouldn't be having this discussion. But it is time to try and solve the biking issues that have existed for at least 20 years, and seem to be worse during the season.

Pragmatic1 writes:

in response to Heraclitus:

Some provisions of the Law:

316.151 Required position and method of turning at intersections.—

316.2065 Bicycle regulations.—

316.2072 states.....

(6) When a bicyclist comes in the near proximity of a white pick-up truck, at any time or in any road or weather condition, a Right-Of-Way should be given to the bigger, more powerful white pick up truck driver since said mentioned driver is legally permitted to text, talk or watch videos while operating said white pick-up truck and the bicyclist will lose in a confrontation.

Voice-of-America writes:

Chuck was the lead in this group with his son not far behind. It had to be a horrible sight for him as well. My friends in the group believe the truck was passing near 50 mph,hit Chuck, and then fled and got caught by the bikers. Not smart!....Get well soon Chuck!....