The week ahead in state and local government: March 10 to March 14
Published 3/9/2014 at 8:00 p.m. 0 comments
Here's a look at some of the events and major state and Southwest Florida government meetings that could generate news reports in the coming week.
Endorsements in Southwest Florida congressional race may not sway voters, experts say
Published 3/9/2014 at 6:30 p.m. 0 comments
The endorsements for the District 19 special election have been rolling in since almost the minute the field was set. A look at what they might mean to the outcome.
Gaming overhaul could crack door open for Internet cafes, adult arcades
Published 3/9/2014 at 6:15 p.m. 0 comments
A proposed Senate bill includes language which would make some changes to the part of the state's gaming laws which govern arcade games.
Political Notebook: Notice of election sent for 2014 primary and general
Published 3/9/2014 at 5:45 p.m. 0 comments
Southwest Florida announcements and news items from the campaign trail.
In The 239: Full-moon canoeing, other activities this week
Published 3/9/2014 at 5:00 p.m. 0 comments
What's happening this week In The 239?
Two charged with aggravated assault on Fort Myers police officers
Published 3/9/2014 at 10:50 a.m. 2 comments
Two men were arrested Saturday night and are accused of pointing guns at Fort Myers police officers.
FGCU v. Mercer: What you need to know about today's game
Published 3/9/2014 at 8:30 a.m. 0 comments
The high-flying Eagles take on the Mercer Bears for the Atlantic Sun men's basketball tournament championship at 2 p.m. The winner gets an automatic berth in the NCAA tournament. The loser plays in the NIT.
Toddler killed by uncle backing out of Bonita Springs driveway
Updated 3/8/2014 at 8:52 p.m. 1 comment
Saturday turned into a day of mourning for a Bonita Springs family after authorities and friends say Juan De Rios Zavala-Zamarripa accidently backed into his 20-month-old niece with a pickup, killing her.
State Medicaid contract disputes worked out with little public scrutiny
Published 3/8/2014 at 6:00 p.m. 0 comments
When the state shifted Medicaid to private insurers, what went unmentioned is that contracts covering every region in the state were, in part, the product of behind-the-scenes negotiations outside of the public view.
Fort Myers defense attorney Karen Miller-Maness found dead at home
Published 3/8/2014 at 4:53 p.m. 2 comments
Miller served as an assistant public defender in Lee County, Miami, Tampa and Collier County. In 2012, she ran against Lee Circuit Judge Meg Steinbeck, nearly ousting the longtime incumbent, who won 51 percent to 49 percent.
More than 2,000 race for a cure at 8th annual Susan G. Komen run
Published 3/8/2014 at 2:31 p.m. 0 comments
It was a sea of undulating pink. Pink T-shirts, hats, tutus, beads, rabbit ears — even a man sporting a pink mohawk, sunglasses, feather boa, and fuzzy fur legs. There were boys, girls, babies and dogs in pink.
Congressional candidate downplays endorsements opponents receiving
Published 3/7/2014 at 9:26 p.m. 3 comments
Republican candidates who have qualified for the special election to fill the vacant District 19 congressional seat participated in a forum on Friday evening.
Catch of the Day: Fisherman finds lost dog quarter mile offshore
Published 3/7/2014 at 9:10 p.m. 11 comments
In the water swam Daisy — a 12-year-old golden Labrador retriever — a quarter mile from the shore. "It was shocking to see her swimming up there because it's the last thing you'd expect," Billy Norris said.
Traffic advisory: Bonita Springs Art Fest
Published 3/7/2014 at 5:07 p.m. 0 comments
Old 41 Road between Reynolds Street and Pennsylvania Avenue will be closed from now until 6 p.m. for the Bonita Springs Art Festival.
VIDEO: What stories we're working on
Updated 3/7/2014 at 8:37 a.m. 0 comments
Multimedia reporter Kristine Gill gives you a preview of the stories we're working on at the Daily News.
- Newer Stories
- Older Stories
- Feb 28th 2014 The Ink Life Tour comes to downtown…
- Feb 24th 2014 Inside look at tech research group…
- Feb 22nd 2014 2014 Southwest Florida Wine & Food Fest
- Feb 20th 2014 Boston Red Sox hit field for first…
- Feb 19th 2014 Residents at Manna Christian RV Park…
- Feb 18th 2014 LeeTran proposes rate increase
- Feb 16th 2014 Riverside Park hosts fish fry and…
- Feb 14th 2014 Couples wed in Valentine's Day…
- Feb 14th 2014 Literacy Council teaches moms and…
- Feb 13th 2014 Beach nourishment project for Lovers…
- Feb 11th 2014 Thomas Edison turns 167
- Feb 5th 2014 Bonita Springs City Council Members…
- Mar 7th 2014 March 7 Story Preview
- Feb 24th 2014 Interview: Algenol CEO Paul Woods
- Feb 20th 2014 The Laramie Project at FGCU
- Jan 22nd 2014 Dead pilot whales discovered in Lee…
- Jan 20th 2014 Pilot whales show up at New Pass
- Jan 16th 2014 Election 2014: Kathy Walters
- Jan 15th 2014 Election 2014: Pete Pastore
- Jan 15th 2014 Election 2014: Wes Norris
- Jan 15th 2014 Election 2014: Steve Slachta
- Jan 15th 2014 Election 2014: Mike Gibson
- Jan 13th 2014 Dash cam catches texting while…
- Jan 2nd 2014 Sheriff Mike Scott talks about the…