Florida man examines oil spill dolphin deaths
Published 4/20/2014 at 1:51 p.m. 0 comments
A south Florida man's work is helping researchers better understand long-term damage to dolphins from the massive 2010 BP oil spill.
Conservancy celebrates 50 years during Earth Day festival
Published 4/19/2014 at 5:35 p.m. 0 comments
About 1,000 people crossed the conservancy's boardwalk Saturday afternoon over a quiet and sandy nature preserve for a day of speakers, tours, animal shows and music to celebrate Earth Day and the conservancy's now-completed $20 million renovation.
Creeping landslide devouring part of Wyoming town
Published 4/19/2014 at 3:29 p.m. 0 comments
Workers and residents have watched helplessly as the slow-motion landslide spanning hundreds of yards split a house in two and buckled pavement.
WILDLIFE: Two baby ospreys reunited with parents after fall from nest
Published 4/19/2014 at 4:00 a.m. 0 comments
Joann Fitzgerald is the director of the von Arx Wildlife Hospital at the Conservancy of Southwest Forida. She writes about new patients arriving at the hospital, like two psprey that fell from a tree 50 feet tall.
VIDEO: FWC captures, removes alligator from Barefoot Beach
Published 4/18/2014 at 8:29 p.m. 0 comments
Florida Fish and Wildlife officials captured and removed a juvenile alligator from Barefoot Beach on Friday afternoon.
DEP fines oil company for unauthorized work on Collier oil well
Updated 4/18/2014 at 7:22 p.m. 13 comments
The Dan A. Hughes company was fined $25,000 for unauthorized work on a well it operates south of Lake Trafford in Collier County.
State panel backs draft rules for reducing invasive lionfish population
Published 4/16/2014 at 8:11 p.m. 14 comments
The Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission discussed a series of issues, including proposals to try to curb lionfish, which are an invasive species that threaten native species and ecosystems
DEP sticks to decision to grant permit for Estates area oil well
Published 4/15/2014 at 9:36 p.m. 6 comments
State officials notified an administrative judge Tuesday that they will not rescind the permit the agency granted for Dan A. Hughes Co. to drill an exploratory well in the Golden Gate Estates area.
Florida wildlife panel may declare open season on lionfish Wednesday
Published 4/15/2014 at 8:35 p.m. 0 comments
Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission officials in Tallahassee will discuss Wednesday three regulation changes so that Florida can declare open season on the underwater pests, the lionfish
Are you getting up early (or staying up late) to see the blood moon?
Published 4/14/2014 at 6:55 p.m. 3 comments
A rust-hued Blood Moon will be visible early Tuesday morning in Southwest Florida, providing a rare opportunity to glimpse a total lunar eclipse.
Naples beach accesses to get landscaping makeover
Published 4/14/2014 at 5:04 p.m. 0 comments
Crews will trim non-native shrubbery that is blocking Gulf views at the city's beach accesses, but seagrapes and other native trees will be left alone.
Naples leaders debate paying for pedestrian bridge across Gordon River
Updated 4/14/2014 at 2:45 p.m. 0 comments
The fate of a pedestrian bridge across the Gordon River was still up in the air at Monday's Naples City Council workshop.
Good neighbors: As eagle family grows, Lee County, others watch
Published 4/14/2014 at 5:00 a.m. 0 comments
Photographers started to make the pilgrimage first. Then the Pritchetts installed two webcams and the audience became global.
Springtime sparks activity for black bears, cubs in Southwest Florida
Published 4/12/2014 at 11:36 a.m. 0 comments
FWC reminds the public to be aware that bears will be on the move as they are leaving their winter dens.
Conservancy has rich history, forged in protecting SWFL environment
Published 4/12/2014 at 5:00 a.m. 0 comments
The Conservancy of Southwest Florida celebrates its 50th anniversary, with a specail event. But here's a look at the history.
- Newer Stories
- Older Stories
- Mar 31st 2014 Big Cypress Swamp panel, public…
- Mar 29th 2014 Pelican rescue class at Conservancy…
- Mar 24th 2014 Panther captured near beach at Clam…
- Mar 18th 2014 Slender-horned Gazelles at the Naples…
- Mar 15th 2014 Lee County approves increased boating…
- Mar 13th 2014 Lion cub makes his debut at Zoo Miami
- Feb 27th 2014 Hearing for Golden Gate oil well
- Feb 24th 2014 STEM Lessons With East Naples Students
- Feb 20th 2014 Week-old ailing panther kitten…
- Feb 13th 2014 Beach nourishment project for Lovers…
- Feb 13th 2014 Tram tours offer unique way to…
- Jan 23rd 2014 Twenty-five dead pilot whales…
- Apr 18th 2014 FWC captures alligator on Barefoot Beach
- Apr 12th 2014 Artificial reefs off Collier County's…
- Mar 27th 2014 Golden Gate Estates mulch fire
- Mar 11th 2014 EPA hearing on proposed oil well
- Feb 24th 2014 Interview: Algenol CEO Paul Woods
- Feb 20th 2014 Rescued Florida Panther Kitten
- Jan 24th 2014 Researchers begin necropsies on dead…
- Jan 22nd 2014 Dead pilot whales discovered in Lee…
- Jan 20th 2014 Pilot whales show up at New Pass
- Jan 19th 2014 Denise Boyd on pilot whales
- Jan 19th 2014 RAW VIDEO: Pilot whales beached at…
- Dec 26th 2013 Another pelican rescued from Seagate…