Group looks at 2016 vote to reinstate Collier land preservation tax
Published 12/7/2013 at 7:55 p.m. 1 comment
Conservationists are eyeing 2016 for their chance to get Collier County voters to reauthorize a property tax for land preservation.
Officials say pilot whales no longer visible
Published 12/7/2013 at 5:40 p.m. 0 comments
A spokeswoman for Everglades National Park said Saturday that wildlife officials have not seen the pilot whales that were stranded off the coast this week.
Wildlife: Anhinga strikes electrical line and survives, thanks to rescuers
Published 12/7/2013 at 4:00 a.m. 0 comments
Slow down when you drive our busy roadways this season, as people aren't the only visitors to the area. Joann Fitzgerald, director of the von Arx Wildlife Hospital, provides insight.
Beach accesses to reopen as sand haul enters final phases
Published 12/6/2013 at 12:34 p.m. 0 comments
Thousands of trucks have been hauling sand for the $9.5 million job from an Immokalee mine to beaches in Naples, Park Shore and Vanderbilt Beach since mid-October.
NOAA: Wayward Everglades pilot whales headed back toward shore
Updated 12/6/2013 at 6:45 p.m. 3 comments
The change of direction has would-be rescuers less optimistic about the whales' fate.
Time running out on whales stranded in Everglades National Park
Updated 12/4/2013 at 8:07 p.m. 5 comments
Wildlife officials said 46 pilot whales are alive and swimming free off Highland Beach, where 10 dead whales are beached. Federal biologists reported just before noon that 46 pilot whales are alive and swimming free off Highland Beach, where six ...
1st witness to testify at ex-BP engineer's trial
Published 12/4/2013 at 5:00 a.m. 0 comments
A jury is set to hear testimony from the first witness at the trial of a former BP drilling engineer charged with deleting text messages and voicemails about the company's response to its massive 2010 oil spill in the Gulf ...
Florida woman walking her dog injured in bear encounter
Updated 12/3/2013 at 2:35 p.m. 2 comments
LONGWOOD, Fla. (AP) — A woman was injured in an encounter with a bear while walking her dog, and wildlife officers set up a trap Tuesday to try to capture...
Panther struck, killed by vehicle on Alligator Alley in Collier County
Published 12/3/2013 at 5:35 a.m. 5 comments
A male Florida panther struck and killed by a vehicle Monday night on Alligator Alley in Collier County became the 18th panther found dead in the state this year, wildlife officials said.
Federal jury to hear case against ex-BP engineer
Published 12/2/2013 at 10:24 p.m. 0 comments
Jury selection began Monday for the Justice Department's case against a former BP drilling engineer charged with deleting text messages and voicemails about the company's response to its massive 2010 oil spill in the Gulf of Mexico.
Economist challenges idea of aging farmer crisis
Published 11/30/2013 at 11:00 p.m. 2 comments
Agriculture economists have long warned that farmers are getting old and staying on their land longer, delaying the turnover to a younger generation.
Collier beach project on hiatus for Thanksgiving. Now, if red tide will stay away...
Updated 11/27/2013 at 5:40 p.m. 2 comments
Collier County plans to reopen popular beach access points at Lowdermilk Park and Horizon Way for the four-day weekend starting Thursday as haulers take a holiday break from a $9.5 million beach-widening job.
Collier County on the lookout for a Thanksgiving red tide
Published 11/27/2013 at 12:40 p.m. 0 comments
Results of tests of samples collected from the beaches Monday are expected to be ready later today
Judge dismisses lawsuit over Corkscrew Road sand haul
Updated 11/26/2013 at 8:19 p.m. 2 comments
The dismissal of the lawsuit Tuesday clears the final obstacle that could have stood in the way of Collier County finishing its $9.5 million beach renourishment, possibly by year's end.
Oil drilling opponents ask Collier lawmakers to pursue fracking ban, buffer
Updated 11/26/2013 at 9:31 p.m. 6 comments
Collier County's five delegation members met in Immokalee and Naples on Tuesday to hear what residents want them to focus on in Tallahassee during the next legislative session.
- Newer Stories
- Older Stories
- Nov 26th 2013 State legislator delegation in Immokalee
- Oct 18th 2013 Stone Crab Alliance protests oil…
- Oct 16th 2013 Park Shore section of beach…
- Oct 14th 2013 Stone crabbers prepare for the season
- Oct 1st 2013 BP Oil Spill Trial
- Sep 28th 2013 National Estuaries Day at Rookery Bay
- Sep 23rd 2013 International Coastal Cleanup in…
- Sep 19th 2013 Collier County Reef Clean-up
- Sep 16th 2013 'Turtle Lady' Mary Nelson
- Aug 16th 2013 Students shark tagging
- Aug 15th 2013 Florida panther sightings
- Aug 14th 2013 Have you seen these snakes in Florida?
- Oct 29th 2013 Bears visit the back yard of Naples…
- Oct 14th 2013 Raw video: Beach renourishment
- Sep 25th 2013 Bear in East Naples
- Sep 19th 2013 Collier Reef Clean-up
- Aug 31st 2013 Oil Drilling Protestors
- Aug 15th 2013 Bear caught napping on lanai
- Aug 14th 2013 Baby alligator struggles out of egg
- Jul 10th 2013 Alligator at Ritz-Carlton, Naples
- Jun 3rd 2013 Adam Putnam on ethanol mandate
- Apr 23rd 2013 Florida sues BP, Halliburton
- Apr 7th 2013 Opening Clam Pass
- Nov 30th 2011 Florida panther release
- Alligator Bay Feeding Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 11 A.M.
- Jungle Larry & Safari Jane’s Snakes Alive Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 1:45 P.M.
- Meet the Zoo Keepers Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 10 A.M.
- Naples Zoo feature show Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 11 A.M.
- Primate Expedition Cruise Naples Zoo at Caribbean Gardens -- 10 A.M.
- Barrier Islands Guided Walk Bowditch Point Recreational Park -- 9:30 A.M.
- Guided Kayak Trip Rookery Bay Environmental Learning Center -- 9:30 A.M.
- Mangrove Guided Walk Matanzas Pass Preserve -- 9:30 A.M.
- Shelling in the Northern Ten Thousand Islands Pure Naples -- 9:30 A.M.