Wildlife: Rat trap snares screech owl
Published 3/8/2014 at 4:00 a.m. 1 comment
A rat trap snags a screech owl but von Arx Wildlife Hospital staff use vegetable oil to free it.
VIDEO: Baby owls find a home at Naples Equestrian Challenge arena
Updated 3/6/2014 at 1:53 p.m. 0 comments
Staff at the Naples Equestrian Challenge discovered an owl nest in the rafters of their riding arena.
Baby sea turtles' journey tracked for the first time
Published 3/5/2014 at 10:03 a.m. 0 comments
UCF and coastal Floridians have been nursing baby sea turtles into the Atlantic Ocean for a long time and wondering: Where do they go and what do they do in the deep blue?
Proposed Gordon River Park could be named after you (for $2 million)
Published 3/4/2014 at 12:26 p.m. 5 comments
So you wanna see your name in lights? How about a park in your name? For a mere $2 million, you could buy the naming rights to Naples’ proposed Gordon River Park.
Nepal says litterbugs no longer welcome on Mount Everest
Published 3/4/2014 at 8:20 a.m. 0 comments
Litterbugs, beware: Nepal is making new rules to persuade trekkers to clean up after themselves on Mount Everest, in the hopes of clearing the tons of rubbish now clogging the world's highest peak.
Chomping at bits: Warmer weather brings early surge in gator activity
Published 3/3/2014 at 6:15 p.m. 0 comments
Unseasonably warm temperatures in recent weeks have brought an early surge of gator activity, wildlife experts said. The spike signals the start of alligators' most active period, which extends through early November.
Panther struck, killed by vehicle on State Road 80
Published 3/2/2014 at 1:06 p.m. 0 comments
A 3-year-old male Florida panther was struck and killed by a vehicle Saturday on State Road 80 at the Lee/Hendry county line, wildlife officials said.
Octopuses threatening Lee County's stone crabs
Published 3/2/2014 at 4:07 a.m. 5 comments
An eight-legged mollusk with a big appetite has once again threatened to wreck Lee County's commercial stone crab season.
Estates oil drilling opponents testify about health, environmental concerns during state hearing
Updated 2/28/2014 at 10:38 a.m. 2 comments
A resident who lives near a proposed exploratory oil well site in Golden Gate Estates said the Dan A. Hughes Co. shrunk the radius of households that would be notified in the event of a release of toxic gas to ...
Estates oil well hearing centers around danger, potential of sulfide gas leak
Published 2/26/2014 at 6:45 p.m. 0 comments
A state administrative hearing regarding a proposed Golden Gate Estates oil well enters its second day.
Collier commissioners don't want to subsidize ATV rider fees in parks
Published 2/25/2014 at 8:47 p.m. 4 comments
The search for an ATV riding park is back on track and a voucher program proposed as a short-term solution is off the table.
Hughes Co. drilled at hearing about effects of Estates oil well proposal
Published 2/25/2014 at 6:26 p.m. 2 comments
A state administrative hearing regarding a proposed Golden Gate Estates oil well finished its first day Tuesday in Fort Myers.
State hearing begins Tuesday over proposed oil, gas drilling in Estates
Updated 2/25/2014 at 10:31 a.m. 3 comments
A one- to four-day hearing begins Tuesday in Fort Myers on a proposed exploratory oil well in Golden Gate Estates.
Off-roaders suggest Collier pay for vouchers for riders to use ATV parks
Published 2/24/2014 at 8:13 p.m. 4 comments
It appears Collier County's wishes to put an ATV park at the never-developed jetport off U.S. 41 East just into Miami-Dade County across the Collier County line have gone up in dust.
Climate case at Supreme Court looks at EPA's power
Published 2/24/2014 at 10:59 a.m. 0 comments
The Obama administration is squaring off at the Supreme Court with industry groups and Republican-led states over a small but important program aimed at limiting power-plant and factory emissions of gases blamed for global warming.
- Newer Stories
- Older Stories
- Feb 27th 2014 Hearing for Golden Gate oil well
- Feb 24th 2014 STEM Lessons With East Naples Students
- Feb 20th 2014 Week-old ailing panther kitten…
- Feb 13th 2014 Beach nourishment project for Lovers…
- Feb 13th 2014 Tram tours offer unique way to…
- Jan 23rd 2014 Twenty-five dead pilot whales…
- Jan 20th 2014 Rescue efforts for pilot whales at…
- Jan 20th 2014 Staff Twitter Photos: Pilot whales at…
- Jan 19th 2014 Rookery Bay Nature Festival
- Jan 19th 2014 Pilot whales beached at Gordon Pass
- Jan 18th 2014 Fakahatchee Full Moon Tours
- Jan 14th 2014 Loggerhead turtle released into Ten…
- Feb 24th 2014 Interview: Algenol CEO Paul Woods
- Feb 20th 2014 Rescued Florida Panther Kitten
- Jan 24th 2014 Researchers begin necropsies on dead…
- Jan 22nd 2014 Dead pilot whales discovered in Lee…
- Jan 20th 2014 Pilot whales show up at New Pass
- Jan 19th 2014 Denise Boyd on pilot whales
- Jan 19th 2014 RAW VIDEO: Pilot whales beached at…
- Dec 26th 2013 Another pelican rescued from Seagate…
- Dec 26th 2013 Pelican in distress at Seagate Drive
- Dec 10th 2013 Beach renourishment project wraps up…
- Oct 29th 2013 Bears visit the back yard of Naples…
- Oct 14th 2013 Raw video: Beach renourishment
- Briggs Boardwalk Walk Briggs Boardwalk, Shell Island Road -- 8 A.M.
- Barrier Islands Guided Walk Bowditch Point Recreational Park -- 9:30 A.M.
- Guided Kayak Trip Rookery Bay Environmental Learning Center -- 9:30 A.M.
- Nature Walk - CREW Bird Rookery Swamp CREW Bird Rookery Swamp, 1295 Shady Hollow Blvd., Naples, FL -- 9 A.M.
- Mangrove Guided Walk Matanzas Pass Preserve -- 9:30 A.M.
- Keep Collier Beautiful 2nd Recycled Boat Regatta Sugden Regional Park -- 9 A.M.
- Conservancy of Southwest Florida's 50th Anniversary Earth Day Festival The Conservancy of Southwest Florida -- 10 A.M.